Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Rifle Target Shooting-Suggestions

Eric in NC

Re: Starting Rifle Target Shooting-Suggestions

Handloading is at least as safe as shooting! Both require discipline and concentration to be safe. If you apply those two, they are very safe, if not - very dangerous. Just like driving, riding a motorcycle, or drinking good bourbon! (not to be done at the same time!).

The Burris is a fine scope for that price range.

kenbo776

Have been shooting my 10 FCP in .308 almost every weekend. 50 or 60 rounds is average for me. No shoulder problems and I know that if I had the time ( and $$ ) I could shoot lot more in a day. This is a 13 pound rifle & scope setup, with a very thick ( standard on the Mc Millian stock ) recoil pad. Used to have a 7 1/2 pound 30.06 that which I kept for maybe 6 months and sold it because it hurt like hell to shoot. But the Savage is great! And Northlander mentioned that you can also switch barrels. The 22.250 will work since its based on the .308 case. That would be a good caliber also since you have small bullet pushed by big case. But not cheap. Reloading I would have to recommend a full size press and setup since I remember using the Lee kit for pistol ( I recall you used a mallet to drive case into die., still that way? )but I dont know how hard it would be to hammer a full size rifle case into the dies. But then it depends on how much $$ you have to spend. I borrowed a press , scale, etc. from friend of mine and bought everything else so my reloading has not cost me to much as of yet. I think that there are as many reloading setups sitting unused in garages as there are unused threadmills and home gyms. Needless to say, I love my .308 ...furthest shot so far has been 425 yards, but normally I practice at 200 or 300 yards. The bigger bullet from the .308 is not affected by wind as much , which is good since the closest range here is 18 miles from coast and can get very windy.

Kenbo, you will be suprised how welll your gun will shoot 600 plus yds. I shoot mine all the time @ 600yds, 175gr BTHP's. The last time I shot 66 rounds @ 600yds, 65 of the shots would have put down a deer!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12