Thread: The age old vertical stringing problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I would say a bedded and pillared walnut stock will be less perfect than a bedded and pillared laminate stock for the reasons you stated. Perhaps the best stock for long range precision is some sort of quality composite stock that's has an aluminum bedding or something. I don't know if composites are better than laminates, but a solid piece of walnut or maple or anything else is not the best for accuracy. They do look nice, though, and for hunting, that's what I prefer. :) I look for 1/2 MOA from 100-300 yards on all my hunting rifles, and I have never failed to get it or better, regardless of the wood.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I would say a bedded and pillared walnut stock will be less perfect than a bedded and pillared laminate stock for the reasons you stated. Perhaps the best stock for long range precision is some sort of quality composite stock that's has an aluminum bedding or something. I don't know if composites are better than laminates, but a solid piece of walnut or maple or anything else is not the best for accuracy. They do look nice, though, and for hunting, that's what I prefer. :) I look for 1/2 MOA from 100-300 yards on all my hunting rifles, and I have never failed to get it or better, regardless of the wood.
    Thanks foxx. I'm not looking to shoot anywhere beyond about 300 yards with this gun, but MOA is MOA. I'm with you about hunting rifles though. All of mine are solid wood stocks. I've just never seen that much of a difference in POI as the stock moves and your comment about how sensitive the bedding is got me wondering about it.