Thread: The age old vertical stringing problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Foxx and gotcha, I'll have the rifle out again tonight and I'll check the bedding very carefully to see how it feels (before and after I scrape the center wood for clearance). I do use Devcon 10110 and turned my own aluminum pillars (Need the practice on my lathe). Rather than giving up and re-bedding, if it shows any signs of binding I'll see if I can identify the trouble spot and scrape it to start with. Maybe I can save myself a little work that way.... But this brings up another question. if the action is that sensitive, I'd still expect weather changes to affect the POI noticeably on walnut(?) stocks even after bedding. I've got rifles that the stock moves up to about .020" at the barrel channel with humidity/temp changes. you're essentially saying that even a .001/002" misalignment can cause problems... How much consistency should I expect even from a bedded wood stock?

Maztech, I can't rule my rest out, but neither would I be inclined to believe that it's the cause. This part is all seat of the pants, but I learned to shoot doing competitive position shooting matches (NRA smallbore stuff) and have a pretty good feel for consistency from shot to shot as a result. I didn't pick anything up that might be causing a problem this time out... Besides, this is the same rest and the same routine I use for everything from my .22's on up through my various hunting rifles with no issue. Still it's worth considering the next time I go out. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by hal9000; 09-07-2014 at 06:07 PM.