Thanks guys. I must be missing something (which is exactly why I came to this forum!), because I don't see where the major expense of this is. A new ER Shaw stainless barrel in the caliber I want (375H&H) is $247 and I would have to level it in the mill and drill and tap for the iron sights, no big deal. The Savage Safari Express stainless take off barrel I just ordered from numrich was $106 and will have already been drilled and tapped for sights as well as it will have caliber and name and all that stamped on the side. I could just screw it in until the headspace works and call it a day but then there's a 359/360 chance that stuff won't line up where it's supposed to. I could just live with it but it would bug me. To do it right I would need to screw it in past the point of correct headspace until the sight holes and roll marks are where I want and then fix the headspace. It only costs $33 to rent a reamer and another $5 for a go gauge which I would have needed anyway. So I'm at $144 to have a factory stainless barrel on my rifle and indexed properly, which is still $100 cheaper than getting a new barrel and having to machine it for the sights myself. What did I miss?

My question really boils down to: Can I screw the barrel into the receiver up to a full turn "too far" without causing any other problems? I haven't taken off a savage barrel yet or looked at a bare receiver to know how much room there is between the bolt lugs and the end of the barrel.

Thanks!