I know the question seems to be a simple one, but I thought that I would get some opinions. I've read statements by others on a different thread that the way a barrel "looks" has nothing to do with the way a barrel "shoots". Basically that a crappy finished barrel can shoot lights out, and a beautifully finished barrel may not shoot at all.

So, my question to all of you; "When looking, shooting, buying a barrel what do you look for as far as quality, craftsmanship, and accuracy issues are concerned?" How is one to gauge that their hard earned money isn't being thrown away? If I can buy a factory used barrel with thousands of rounds for $50 that can out shoot a custom $300-400 dollar barrel, what's a guy to think? There has to be a set of checks and balances when dealing with this right? I realize you can get some exceptional factory barrels, and some lemon custom barrels. My question is "why"?

When it comes to paying money for your rifle/barrel, what do you think should be met as far as you expectations go?

I'd like to hear from you, the customer and your expectations.

I would also like to hear from any that actually work on barrels. I know that there are gunsmiths, and those who do work on barrels here on this forum. I know we have vendors that sell barrels on this forum as well. How do you converse, and deal with an unsatisfied individual?

Please let me in one what your conversations would be like from one angle to another when talking about what makes a barrel good, or bad?