Thread: Custom savage please help...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Custom savage please help...

All,
    I was contemplating getting a new savage in 308 or 300 win...I know, big difference and I have not made my mind up yet but that is not the problem. This savage will be used in it's stock form until I blow out the barrel. The problem is deciding which savage model to buy. This rifle will see most it's shots in the 100-300 yard range out of tree stands with shooting rails but I do have a field I sit on that is 500 yards which the 300 win mags extra oomph would be nice. Anyways, where I am stuck is which savage model to buy. There are so many. I was hoping to buy one either with a decent stock from factory (accustock or one of the HS precision models) or buy a base model savage and put a new stock on it but it seems like stocks are limited for the box magazine savage's which all new savage's are. I do not have a gunsmith around who can do bedding jobs so please keep all suggestions to stocks with aluminum bedding blocks...I know these are not as good as a full-on bedding job but I have found them to be decent enough in my remingtons. I "MAY" try and start doing bedding myself on an old savage I have lying around.
    So here is my list of wants:

1) Appropriate barrel length for caliber (24-26" for the 300 mag and 22 for the 308) I do not like short barrels
    2) Either a decent stock from factory or cheaper base model which would be upgradable to an aftermarket stock with aluminum bedding blocks (I would hope to not have to buy a 500+ dollar stock) I do have a small concern about the smaller accustock recoil lug and the 300win mag. I thought I remember reading someone having issues but I cant find it now.
    3) weight...this is not a big factor but I dont want to lug around an ultra-bull barrel bench set-up. Varmint is ok. I held a .223 precision carbine model weighing 8lbs and that seemed fine for weight. I do have a lightweight mountain rifle already (6lbs) so the new rifle does not need to be super light either.
    4) Cost...again not super critical but I would like to stay around 1000$...this would mean a higher costing model or a cheaper model plus stock (example 500-600 dollar model then buy a 300 dollar stock).
    Last edited by Bigeclipse; 09-03-2014 at 08:06 AM.