Thread: Weight of savage actions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Thanks for the information, looks like I am on the right path.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by colt56 View Post
    Thanks for the information, looks like I am on the right path.
    An 18" barrel weighs less than a 20" barrel. Some hunters do carry shorter barrels for easier hiking into remote areas. In my neck of the woods a mile is as far as I ever hike. maybe one day I'll move out West where it takes me all day to hike in.

Savage6x284
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    An 18" barrel weighs less than a 20" barrel. Some hunters do carry shorter barrels for easier hiking into remote areas. In my neck of the woods a mile is as far as I ever hike. maybe one day I'll move out West where it takes me all day to hike in.
    And likely blows the balance of the rifle. Not to mention the ballistics compromise and the increased report and blast inherent with short barrels.
    With a lightweight rifle balance is of the utmost importance and a #2 contour should IMO be a full 24" to shift a bit of weight forward putting the balance point just forward of the front action screw. This is assuming a lightweight stock in the 21-24oz range.
    I feel a 24" tube is where you want to be when the cartridge is a full length 65K psi cartridge like the .280AI.

Mach2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECKsFicSbrw

Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    And likely blows the balance of the rifle. Not to mention the ballistics compromise and the increased report and blast inherent with short barrels.
    With a lightweight rifle balance is of the utmost importance and a #2 contour should IMO be a full 24" to shift a bit of weight forward putting the balance point just forward of the front action screw. This is assuming a lightweight stock in the 21-24oz range.
    I feel a 24" tube is where you want to be when the cartridge is a full length 65K psi cartridge like the .280AI.
    The Sav Lightweight Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor utilizes a 20" barrel. A 24" barrel hardly would qualify as an easy to carry Mountain Rifle.

Savage6x284

The Sav Lightweight Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor utilizes a 20" barrel. A 24" barrel hardly would qualify as an easy to carry Mountain Rifle.
    ###
    Last edited by Savage6x284; 09-17-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Savage6x284

Wanna bet? Most of my hunting rifles are lighter than the Savage LWH and only one has a 22" barrel. My ULA Model 20 6mm Rem is lighter and sports 24" of tube. My LA Savage 116 custom goes 7# 3oz scoped and has a 24" tube. The LA Savage LWH is advertised at 6# bare. My Kimber of Oregon has a 22" and weighs 6# 1.7oz scoped.
    Unlike the Savage LWH all of my rifles balance perfectly just forward of the front action screw and not one of mine has a single piece of plastic anywhere on them. Pick up a LWH and tell me where it balances?
    None of mine have flutes or lightening cuts anywhere which I find to be a trap for woods junk and which creates avenues for the ingress of water, snow, etc.
    None of mine make any ballistics compromises either.
    The Savage LWH is an example, for me and many other LW rifle aficionados, of light done wrong.

Get a Forbes rifle or better yet a NULA and you'll know what light done right is all about.

Basic Member
    The biggest stress I have had is how the balance will come out. I started into this project once before and got nervous about the balance. What #2 contour are you mentioning?

Mach2
    The biggest stress I have had is how the balance will come out. I started into this project once before and got nervous about the balance. What #2 contour are you mentioning?
    If balance is a key concern then why build a mountain rifle? A mountain rifle is a tradeoff rifle where weight is shed by any manner possible in order to end up with a rifle you can carry for two days. Balance tends to not be so important after you've been hiking 4 hours into the back country.
    If all you are going to do is walk 300 yards to a tree stand you don't need a mountain rifle at all.

Savage6x284
    The #2 I used on my Savage is the Rock Creek 5R 8 twist in 6mm. It was turned down to a #2 by Rock Creek from one of his 30" bull barrels. I had this barrel fitted nutless like a 700 but a nutted barrel would work too.
    When building a LW rifle there is NOTHING more important than balance. Period! You were right in being concerned about balance and achieving it takes some thought and frankly it takes some money. Money spent primarily on a great quality LW stock like the McM EDGE I use and recommend. The Manners 24oz stock is likely also a good choice but 24oz is about the maximum weight you want for your stock. Anything heavier than that will require too much barrel to balance it out and subsequently you'd end up with a rifle which is either too heavy or poorly balanced.
    Careful selection of scope and mounts is also required. Leupold consistently has the lightest scopes in their classes and Talley LW's are the lightest ringmounts you'll find. For my Savage LW I chose a set of the S&K projectionless mounts. These a bit heavier than the TLW's but they are bulletproof and they look fantastic. They are really light for an all steel mount but I don't recall what they come in at.
    You're on the right track here Colt with your concerns and it sounds like you have a good grasp of what's important and what's just superfluous.
    Quality stock, 24oz max.
    Great barrel, not too skinny but not near to fat. A #2.
    Full length tube for balance and ballistics.
    LW, high quality sighting gear.
    Swiss cheese and flutes are not desirable and are a place you can save money.

I'm excited to see your build come together. Keep me updated and do not hesitate to ask questions as they arise.
    Building a LW Savage is ground rarely trodden around here and I'm happy to share my experiences in this arena.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    Wanna bet? Most of my hunting rifles are lighter than the Savage LWH and only one has a 22" barrel. My ULA Model 20 6mm Rem is lighter and sports 24" of tube. My LA Savage 116 custom goes 7# 3oz scoped and has a 24" tube. The LA Savage LWH is advertised at 6# bare. My Kimber of Oregon has a 22" and weighs 6# 1.7oz scoped.
    The Savage LWH Creedmoor weighs 5.5 lbs.
    You can go to the Savage custom shop and they will build you a rifle superior to the Kimber.

Savage6x284
    The Savage LWH Creedmoor weighs 5.5 lbs.
    You can go to the Savage custom shop and they will build you a rifle superior to the Kimber.
    If you say so.