You guys have to remember that except for a very small fraction of a bullets flight when fired at extended (read 600+ yards) range a bullet is pointed either up or down and is not flying a level path. If you were to the side and could see it in relation to the line of sight is what i am saying. As such you have a surfboard type action of the bullet riding the air. You have to make minute adjustments for mirage which is also a type of air movement where the moving air moves the light around making your target swim.

Therm if you take your plane and get it flying in a perfectly straight and level path in a no wind situation and lock the controls and hit a headwind odds are the plane will fall or rise. A cross wind will blow it off course. Now i don't fly unless someone else is driving but i am just trying to put it in terms you will understand. To use the bullets path in a plane you have a slight nose up with lets say a 100 ft per minute climb at 200 knots and hit a head wind and the only change is to increase power to maintain the 200 knots. You should find yourself at a faster rate of climb due to the added lift. If you make no changes to the controls you will find yourself not only going slower (ground speed) but your climb rate will change also and not always in a predictable way. Updrafts and downdrafts play a big part in all this. Wind coming up a mountain or dropping down over the crest of a mountain is a good example.
Like i said earlier you just have to get out on the same range and shoot in a no wind, a head wind and a tail wind to see the difference and something like a 223 or 308 at 1000 yards will show the effects pretty dog gone good. Sometimes book learning doesn't jive with practical application.