Thread: How do I fix my split Boyds stock?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I epoxied the forward chunk back in today in preparation of drilling it for pillars. The inletting on mine seemed fine before it broke and I used a torque wrench so I didn't overstress the stock.

There wasn't anything odd looking about the chunk I epoxied back in place. Oh well, I'll put pillars in and move forward.

Team Savage
    If you're open for a few hints and suggestions: There's not much wood to work with in that area so "think small". Threaded lamp rod works real well for that type of application. Check the length. Make it (the rod) long enough to raise the action above the inlet and still be in contact under the head of the action screw. The action screws will be smaller in the rod holes. You can use heat shrink tubing on the screws to take up some of the slack. Secure the screws and proper length pillars to the action. Set the shimmed action and barrel in the stock. Plug the holes where the pillars touch the action with tissue paper so the bedding (if it's thin enough) won't run out. Stock is upside down with the action secured in place and centered in the inlet. Masking tape will secure the action in place. Let it set up real good. You can go back and add more after they're set.
    I do mine in two steps, sometimes 3. (I'am repeating myself) Set the pillars (front and rear) in position, make sure the barrel is centered in the barrel channel with enough clearence. Shim the tang and barrel. Thin cardboard and masking tape works good for shim stock or double up on the tape till it's the thickness you want.
    Glue the pillars in place. Let the bedding set up real good. No use getting in a hurry now! Make sure you use LOTS of mold release. Clear shoe polish wax works wonders!! And drill the pillar holes "just big enough" so the pillars will fit without force.
    A good size rat tail file works good also. Beats having a drill bit catching and breaking out the smaller sections of wood.The glue (bedding) will keep them in place and also support the thin wood in that area till you do the action bedding. Remember, "lots" of mold release when you set the action!!! And on the action screws also. After you've done the action bedding, you can go back and add more bedding in the areas that could use a little more. From underneath or the top. I've even used Super Glue to secure loose chunks till the pillars are set. Use what you need to get the job done. Don't be concerned if there's places where the bedding isn't smooth. You're not out to impress anybody. No body will know what it looks like till you pull the action out of the stock. You can (if you must) always go back and fill in any bad looking spots. The more you do bedding the better you get at it! And don't be afraid to ask questions. We all had to start somewhere. Please keep us updated on your progress. You'll do a FINE JOB!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.