Thread: Last match for the year with savage fcp-sr

Basic Member

Last match for the year with savage fcp-sr

Well as a lot of you know,I've been shooting my fcp-sr in matches for just over a year now. Just to up date a little. The rifle has been superb! I ordered it from Savage's custom shop and it turned out better than I could have imagined. Because of my age I really didn't want to get into the full blown rigs that cost three times as much as this rifle. I guess I could have put together a really good shooter but being a lefty added another little glitch so I just opted to have Savage build it.
    So for a little over a year now I been competing with this rifle against some of the best shooters in the country. I go mostly to watch these guys perform magic with their equipment. While I feel capable of shooting long distances, I don't do well with the timed events and stress factors added in. I imagine if I would have started this some time ago I would be doing better.
    As for the rifle, it has not failed in hundreds of rounds! It has cycled rounds, on the clock, with a smokin' hot barrel, and never had a FTF or FTE that everyone talks about. I have had to work out some bugs with the magazines but that has all been worked out. I have been able to work up loads and shoot in the .3's so the stick is GTG.
    On to the matches. September 7th will be the last match for me this year. It is a precision tactical rifle match with stages where handgun will be incorporated into the mix. Rifle stages will be from 200 to 1200 yards engaging several targets at all different ranges in most all cases less than 2 min. Like some are 60 to 90 seconds! This old man has a hard time with that! Round count, Rifle 120 rounds, Pistol 80 rounds. Shooters 60. This will be a good match! WML. Dan

Basic Member
    Well it was a great match! Great people to hang with! And a great COF. I'm doing better but still not great, finished 28th out of 54 really excellent shooters, and 3rd in the senior class, and NO, there was more than 3 seniors LOL. Dan

Basic Member
    Good to here. I'm going to be building a 6.5-06 to run in some PBR matches and I have a short action set up that I may change out from .308 to a 6mm variant down the road. I'm excited as I'm waiting to get back to the states finally in just a few more weeks.

ojs643
    Very nice! May I ask you what "tweaks" you did to the magazines? Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ojs643 View Post
    Very nice! May I ask you what "tweaks" you did to the magazines? Thanks.
    PM sent