Thread: Best bullet in ur 243

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    For me the question of which bullet is best in just about any bore size the answer is a Barnes TTSX on the light end of the scale.
    That is a very broad statement and only true in certain circumstances and certain calibers and certain game

Savage6x284
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    That is a very broad statement and only true in certain circumstances and certain calibers and certain game
    First of all I started that sentence with "For me".

Secondly I have never not found a TTSX to equal or better any C&C bullet as a killer of game. Shooting paper is another thing entirely and the criteria for choosing a paper punching bullet is totally different.

Finally, since a good monometal, like the superb TTSX or the offerings from CEB, stay together no matter what it encounters in the animal you can safely drop several levels of bullet weight and reap the advantages of speed.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    First of all I started that sentence with "For me".

Secondly I have never not found a TTSX to equal or better any C&C bullet as a killer of game. Shooting paper is another thing entirely and the criteria for choosing a paper punching bullet is totally different.

Finally, since a good monometal, like the superb TTSX or the offerings from CEB, stay together no matter what it encounters in the animal you can safely drop several levels of bullet weight and reap the advantages of speed.

Definitly agree with the last statement, reap benefits of speed, but also loose to wind drift and BC. the times monometals are at thier best is ultra high velocity cartridge to moderate ranges ( thinking of using a 50 ish grain ttsx in my 22-250 AI for deer) but people knock on copper core bullets way to much, a light constructed, cup and core bullet is absolutely devastating on meduim sized game. ive seen hydrostatic shock instant kills where a vital organ wasnt even hit. actually of the 30+ kills on mule deer, whitetails, blacktails, and bighorn sheep that i have witnessessed with light constructed cup and core bullets, not a single animal was lost and only 3 went more than 10 yards from where they were hit. and the majority were dead before they hit the ground.

But thats the difference int he barns and berger crowd, 2 different means, same end result