Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major problem with Boyd's Tacticool

pwdnt

Just got off of the phone with Boyd's, They are replacing the stock because it was a material failure. The explanation I was given is that the stock split directly on a glue line wich should not happen at all, so they are sending the stock to their laminate supplier because they have to investigate the cause of the failure as well. I asked if the dyed laminates are stronger or if the tacticool uses a different laminate and the answer I was given was that the only difference in the stocks is that the others are died before they are glued together otherwise the laminates are exactly the same. Overall I'm satisfied that they are going to resolve the issue and continue to take care of any issues that may arise

Basic Member
    Glad to hear that the outcome was in your favor
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    pwdnt, glad Boyd's worked with you. ALSO glad you asked about the wood. I still think the plain "tacticool" wood seems FAR softer than their regular colored laminates...

Been watching this thread.
    Glad they are covering it.

Basic Member
    sounds like they did the right thing; they just wanted to see for themselves first. They seem to me like they are always more than fair.

Basic Member
    Were you torquing your action screws or just going by feel? How tight?

I pulled mine apart after reading your thread and sure enough, cracked. When was your order? I placed mine in Apr 14. Did they entertain the idea of a refund rather than a replacement? Bedding this thing sucked and I would rather just avoid laminates altogether after this experience.

Edit- Added Photos:

Rear Action Screw; looking at the mag well rearword

Rear Action Screw; looking from the top down. It is cracked through the thin layer of bedding compound and in the wood.

Material behind the front action screw; looking from the top/rear down towards the front action screw. This crack is not near as bad as the one on the rear action screw and it does not extend near the recoil lug recess (yet). It was fairly hard to capture, even with the macro lens on the DSLR.
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 08-14-2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added photos

pwdnt
    Were you torquing your action screws or just going by feel? How tight?

I pulled mine apart after reading your thread and sure enough, cracked. When was your order? I placed mine in Apr 14. Did they entertain the idea of a refund rather than a replacement? Bedding this thing sucked and I would rather just avoid laminates altogether after this experience.
    My order was placed on 6/23 they did offer me a refund if i did not choose to get a new stock. I had beded both the bottom metal and the reciever so I screwed it in until the screw stopped.

Basic Member
    I recently had the wood split near the rear action screw on a thumbhole stock. I assumed it was my fault because I relieved it a lot when I bedded the pillar. It actually split 2-3 times before I fully understood what was going on and eventually solved it. Basically, I relieved the wood even MORE and put folded, heavy duty brass (?) staples and some cut-short drywall screws around the damaged area and filled with Acraglass. Once I was satisfied there was no way it could crack/split again, I relieved the top of it a bit so as to bed the action with Devcon 10110. I have had no problems since. However, it was NEVER as bad as the OP's was on the front screw.

cranebird
    Congrats ! I'm glad they are standing behind their product. It may have helped change my mind in the future.

Basic Member
    True that! I do think I'll reinforce my tacticool before shooting it anymore. Maybe another cross-pin in the forearm and bed a layer of fiberglassed matting in the barrel channel cutout. Seems like a lot of extra work but I'd be all bent out of shape if I didn't and the forearm splits in the poorly glued laminate.

idahoorion
    My new (this spring) prairie hunter split on the bridge between the trigger and mag well. I need a cross dowel glued in to fix it. right on the glue line as photo'd above.

pwdnt
    still waiting on the new stock will update once i have it in hand

I ordered one over a week ago and still haven't gotten the shipment email yet. I'll be giving it a good once over before bedding to hopefully catch any issues that may be there.

Basic Member
    Well guys, if you want a Boyds lam ya better hurry......

Rutland Plywood Plant in Vermont Burns to the Ground

Terrible news. The Rutland Plywood plant in Rutland, Vermont burned down last week. Rutland was a major supplier of laminated wood stock blanks. Now the plant is nothing but ashes. Sadly, in the aftermath of this terrible fire, we can expect shortages of laminated blanks for some types of stocks.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...to-the-ground/
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Seen that! Glad I ordered one last week.

pwdnt
    i recieved my stock on friday it seems to be made much better. it also seems like they changed their inletting and increased some support in key areas i will post pictures before i bed stock

Basic Member
    Interesting notes i wonder if theyll be replacing all their tacticools to this upgrade or just send out old stock as usual until theyre out of em.

Basic Member
    Well they went out of stock as soon as they said they had a laminate issue. So that may be the reason they are out of stock. I ordered one in a Royal Jacaranda laminate and it shipped Friday. Hopefully it has the new extra support. I am going to bed it on top and bottom so it should not crack.

cranebird
    I think it had more to do with the laminate source burning to the ground than the laminate issue that surfaced......

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I think it had more to do with the laminate source burning to the ground than the laminate issue that surfaced......
    Yeah, we're all too well aware what happens with the news of an impending shortage aren't we?

Cousineau may be able to pick up some of the slack but not all of it especially short term.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    It was just the tacticool ones. Not anything else. And it was before the fire was reported that they went out of stock.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Yeah, we're all too well aware what happens with the news of an impending shortage aren't we?

Cousineau may be able to pick up some of the slack but not all of it especially short term.

Bill
    Not me ! I'm saving pop cans to melt down to make my own stock out of. Maybe it wood be easier to cash them in and buy a nice aluminum bedded composite stock instead ?

Basic Member
    Am kinda hung up what to do with my tacticool. Have only shot it twice from fear of it splitting. Want to shoot it but wish to reinforce it first to prevent any issues but haven't settled on the best approach. Carbon fiber fishing line looks interesting but not sure it would do the job. There isn't really anywhere pins would work other then the forearm near the front sling stud. Uhg!

C-channel looks interesting but would require completely re-working the stock I already spent a week working on and feel unwilling to reinvest another! Double Uhg! Think will start with some tite-bond in the weak appearing section. Maybe that would be enough? 3x's Uhg!

Basic Member
    Do you have any pictures yet? I received my Royal Jacaranda laminate stock today. I already relieved the barrel section so the HB will fit. I noticed that I only have two threads into the front receiver ring. Going to go get a new screw in the AM. Anyone know the thread before I even go so I know what to look for?

They had a sticker placed right on the bottom of the front receiver ring hole in the stock that says not to over tighten. And boy this thing is heavy. WAY heavier than the one I had for my 22rf Savage. Almost feels like it is impregnated with epoxy. The laminate also seemed very hard to sand out the barrel channel. It's diffidently different than the regular black stocks. So hopefully it will not split.

I would have some pictures but the lighting is horrible in here right now. Will have to wait till tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Going to go get a new screw in the AM. Anyone know the thread before I even go so I know what to look for?
    Take the original screw with you. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast