Thread: which carbon fiber cleaning rod ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I use a combination of Pro Shot SS, Dewey SS/coated and a few old Belding & Mull SS Rods. I don't use the coated Dewey rods with TM bore cleaner, it eats the coating!

when/if you break one,
    If you break or bend a rod you need to re-evaluate your jag-patch combination. A patch-jag should be pass through a bore with light resistance, it's only job its to remove what the solvent has dissolved. In short solvent eats it, the patch removes it. Also just because the packaging says "X" bore doesn't mean they're right especially when mix and matching brands. For the most part I use Pro Shot patches but I have made jags to fit others and sometimes I'll use a 24 bore jag in a 25 bore. It all depend what fits.

Speaking of solvents, I suggest using Wipe Out and or Gunslick foaming cleaners. Although I use Butch's and TM I find myself using the foaming cleaners in the shop more often now days.

Maybe I should have said that I intend to also get the bore guide system with the rod brand and I use
    Lucas bore guides are the standard ($$$) although something is generally better than nothing. The bargain basement type MTM guides are pretty much one step below worthless. The term "bore guide" is a bit misleading, its really a rod guide to keep the rod centered going in and out of the throat while the patch keeps it centered in the bore.

While were' on the subject of cleaning, anyone know this gadget is used for?

I should be used as part of your cleaning regiment along with the bore-chamber.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I use a combination of Pro Shot SS, Dewey SS/coated and a few old Belding & Mull SS Rods. I don't use the coated Dewey rods with TM bore cleaner, it eats the coating!

If you break or bend a rod you need to re-evaluate your jag-patch combination. A patch-jag should be pass through a bore with light resistance, it's only job its to remove what the solvent has dissolved. In short solvent eats it, the patch removes it. Also just because the packaging says "X" bore doesn't mean they're right especially when mix and matching brands. For the most part I use Pro Shot patches but I have made jags to fit others and sometimes I'll use a 24 bore jag in a 25 bore. It all depend what fits.

Speaking of solvents, I suggest using Wipe Out and or Gunslick foaming cleaners. Although I use Butch's and TM I find myself using the foaming cleaners in the shop more often now days.

Lucas bore guides are the standard ($$$) although something is generally better than nothing. The bargain basement type MTM guides are pretty much one step below worthless. The term "bore guide" is a bit misleading, its really a rod guide to keep the rod centered going in and out of the throat while the patch keeps it centered in the bore.

While were' on the subject of cleaning, anyone know this gadget is used for?

I should be used as part of your cleaning regiment along with the bore-chamber.

Bill

A Sinclair lug recess cleaner.......nope ,never seen one of those before but I've got a tipton branded one,it was cheaper than dirt, also was where I got it. Mix kroil half and half with your favorite bore cleaner to remove the stubborn carbon as well.I am probably going with the pro shot stainless steel cleaning stick this time but the tipton is still on my mind to try. One thing I am doing differently this time is going to a 42" length since my other cleaning stick is most likely going to come up short with the new 26" barrel/receiver, bore guide length mix which was my reason for posting this thread. I think Tipton makes a great product at a reasonable price but so does a lot of other companies. One thing with the tipton bore guide, same deal I stated with the cleaning rod length and new longer barrel, it eats up some of your cleaning rod length as well,I'd hate to see someone send a rod down and not clear the end of the barrel so measure before you get started....Thanks to those who contributed to the thread.

Ivan