Thread: Which action for .450 Marlin?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Salvo

Which action for .450 Marlin?

It looks like .450 Marlin with a case length of 2.1" would work well in a short action. I've been wondering if I could successfully re-barrel my model 16 short action (small shank) for .450 Marlin, of if I'd be better off to start with a large shank action. The small shank action is lighter, so that would be optimum if it will work.

Then there's the question of a magazine... Is there a short action center-feed magazine that will feed a belted magnum case? Though the belt is wider on a .450 Marlin, the diameter of the case is the same as a 7mm Remington Mag, .458 Winchester, etc..

Any comments appreciated, especially if anyone here has already done this conversion. My model 16 is currently set up for 7mm-08 Remington.

I'm thinking that a 22" magnum contour barrel would be about right. It would definitely need to feed reliably from a magazine for follow up shots (if needed) on dangerous game.

Top it with a good 1.5-4x scope or perhaps a 2x scout scope and one would have a creditable guide gun; Light, handy and powerful.
    Last edited by Salvo; 07-30-2014 at 09:39 AM.