OK, with all that said, there is another famous Savage trait, barrels that copper up heavily when new. After looking at that barrel it becomes obvious why. Those of us that know about it take care of it. BUT, and its a big BUT, how about Joe six pack that goes out and buys a Savage and never heard about coppering up, which is proabably 98% of the people who buy rifles. And if said Joe shoots a lot or is a varmint shooter after Pdogs and fires a lot of rounds and after several hundred the barrel coppers up and cant hit nuttin' he hears from dear old Dad, "I told ya to buy a Remington, every one knows them d**n Savages are junk." So Joe six pack trades it in for a Remington. Just one of the problems that have given Savage a bad name over the years. We have all heard the complaints, wether justified or not, they are out there.
Also, I cant understand how a barrel button broached can look like that. I have seen bores (not rifle bores) button broached and they never looked like that. One of the reasons for button broaching is it's fast and accurate smooth contours. It forges, not cuts, and I cannot understand how a carbide button can leave a barrel looking like it was cut with a threading V tool in the bore and grooves.
Will someone please explain that too me, an old tooling and manufacturing engineer.

El Lobo