Thread: Getting ready to sight it in

Getting ready to sight it in

What I just did for a new to me Savage Palma in 308.

- I cleaned the barrel.
    - I undid the bolts holding the action to the stock and removed the action. I wanted to check to see if there was anything I should know about, contact on things where there should be none, debris, ect. Then I torqued the action into the stock to factory specs.
    - Checked the rail against the barrel and saw it was uneven. So I bedded the rear of the rail with JP weld. Afterwards checked mounting and attached rail to action with properly set torque of screws.
    - Placed my rings onto the rail, pushed forward and checked alignment. Cleaned, degreased and torqued lower rings to rail.
    - Checked level of rifle and aligned scope into rings. Checked for proper eye relief, set top of rings onto lower and snugged them up little.
    - Checked reticle against plumb bob 50 yards away to confirm true vertical. Torqued top of rings.
    - Took out bolt, disassembled it, polished where needed to make it a little smoother, lubed and reassembled.
    - Checked bolt for proper function.
    - Tonight I will bore sight it.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

I think if you can visually see the rail is uneven, then you might want to try a different rail.
    Sounds like you either have the wrong part or a defective one.
    I dont think a retailer will take it back with epoxy on it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    When you torqued your screws did you do so manufactuers specs? Also did you check the horizontal level as well?

Thank you both for the replies.

First, I really couldn't see any gap from the rail. What I did was separately put in both screws onto either end of the rail and very gently tapped. One side was firm, however the other I felt a very little tap. So I bedded that end only. I did a lot of internet searches on forums before doing so and found this this is not unusual and a common practice. So I felt good doing it and it wasn't hard to do. There are little variations in all things mass produced.

Second, I had a bipod mounted onto the rifle and the top of the rear ring has a level on it. So I know it was level at the beginning. I checked this about a dozen times before torquing the rings to manufactures specs. All done in inch pounds.