Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood is good

Vintage-bears

Looks great.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy Pete View Post

If you want something more specific, pm me.

In this picture the recoil lug is in the recoil lug channel, but you can clearly see that the bolt handle does not line up with its channel. Also, the inletting for the barrel nut is off.

Here you can see how far off center the recoil lug channel is. Additionally, I think it is way too far forward.

The bolt hole spacing is about 4.40" as should be. It is otherwise a beautiful piece of wood and would have made a terrific stock.
    Looks like you could grind the barrel lug channel a bit and the rest would fall into place. It is a nice piece of wood. Bedding would take up any over grinding ect..

Basic Member
    The tang looks to be too far forward too...if it was me I'd take the recoil lug off and set the action into the stock...do the screw holes line up and does the bolt handle then slide into its notch or is it still forward?...is so the recoil lug can be ground back and then glass bedded...if the screw spacing is off it might be a 4.27" SA stock instead of a 4.4"...only an 1/8th of an inch or so of difference but enough...

Basic Member
    I have to remove the barrel, checking it without the recoil lug makes good sense. The bolt spacing, is very close to 4.40", maybe a bit long, but even then, only by a smidgen. I checked it with a caliper early on, thinking it might have been a long action. I'm guessing the channel was inlaid by a new guy, on a Monday, hung-over.

Basic Member
    Thought I'd update the wood is good thread...yes..wood is very good...

Wet and looking good...stock will be really nice with a dark oil finish..

Action being fitted...

Opened up barrel channel to take the varmint 16.5" barrel...

Basic Member
    A tip...when grinding a rubber "grind to fit" recoil pad...buy a 5lb block of dry ice, bust it up into little pieces adn snuggle the recoil pad into it and freeze it solid...grind till it starts to warm up and get soft...freeze again...repeat until done...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy Pete View Post
    I have to remove the barrel, checking it without the recoil lug makes good sense. The bolt spacing, is very close to 4.40", maybe a bit long, but even then, only by a smidgen. I checked it with a caliper early on, thinking it might have been a long action. I'm guessing the channel was inlaid by a new guy, on a Monday, hung-over.
    If that does not work I would send it back...call Numrinch, explain the problem adn you get a fluke...that recoil lug channel is way out of spec as is that bolt handle cut...looks like a SA bolt handle cut on a LA inlet

Basic Member
    I finally determined the problem with the wood stock I received from Numrich. While it was designed to fit a Savage 110 short action, it was a short run of Savage 110s built for a rebranded rifle, the Westernfield 710. The screw spacing is 4.25" and some of the other inletting was off. Anyone need a wood stock for a Westernfield 710?

Basic Member
    I would send it back...the one I have is great

Basic Member
    Captbeach do you remember what part number you ordered from numrich? Did it happen to be 1223500? I'm wanting to get myself another project but I want blind mag staggered feed and I see yours is inletted for dbm. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12