Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your groups!

Basic Member

(Burris Veracity 4-20x50 repeatability test -up, dn, lf, rt, 0 shoot x 12): 12 shots at 100 yards 175gr Matrix VLD 2993 FPS out of 270 AI)

(Same ammo as above: Last cold bore shot at 200 yards before calling it good for the hunting season)

Coolbranch

Fun Sunday afternoon

Check that. Image lost.
    Last edited by Coolbranch; 12-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolbranch View Post
    Check that. Image lost.
    What did?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    Yesterday.
    Savage 11 in 260 rem.
    1610 yds.
    24"x24" plate.

I can't tell but is that a Witt Machine MB?

Basic Member
    Nice shot, Feenix!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Nice shot, Feenix!
    Thanks! I had no luck with elk but harvested a small muley buck >>> http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.as...ms=.270,AI,1st

Basic Member
    I'm not bragging on my group size per se, but I'm proud of these three particular shots especially because I'm a "hit the target" kind of guy as opposed to a "small grouping" aficionado, if you know what I mean.

Yesterday I zeroed the Mueller scope on my brand new Savage MK II FV .22 at 50 yards and then set up a target at 100 range. The Android app called "External Ballistics" said to go up 56 clicks, which is exactly what I did.

These are the first ever shots at 100 yards from my new rifle. My three shot grouping isn't nearly as small as most posts here, but for a half-blind 70 year old I'd say these very first shots at 100 yards (with the help of my Android app) demonstrate a pretty good job of hitting the bulls eye on the first try using a cheap gun with ordinary ammo in gusty winds around 10mph. It speaks well for the scope elevation knob calibration too.

http://_DSC3164-Edit by Mozella55, on Flickr

Team Savage
    great shooting

Basic Member
    That's pretty dang good. If you ain't bragging, you should be! :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    That's pretty dang good. If you ain't bragging, you should be! :)
    Well it certainly doesn't hold a candle to many of the groups posted here, but it is pretty nice I suppose especially if you consider it was the first three shots at 100 yards from a brand new cheap gun with a plastic stock and if you give any value to actually hitting the aim point. Thanks for the compliment. Truth be told, many of my 50 yard groups weren't nearly as good.

I hope to have better results in a couple of weeks when I finish bedding the action into a laminated Boyd stock. The MK II FV has a cheap feel, especially the stock and less-than-smooth bolt, but when I cleaned the gun last night I lapped/polished the bolt and receiver and that improved things a little bit. I think it will make a fun gun after the stock swap and considering the price, it's hard to beat for accuracy.

When I finish the project I'll hand it over to some youngster who doesn't have double vision, the shakes, and high blood pressure to see what the machinery is really capable of. I doubt if I'll ever be able to make all my hits touch each other at 100 yards, but I'm having a lot of fun trying.

Basic Member
    The others are NOT posting groups made with a .22LR. Big difference!

Berger.Fan222
    A lot of the great groups posted in this thread could be entered in the monthly email match hosted by Savage Shooters. However, due to low participation, the side admin is considering closing the monthly match down. If you would like to participate in monthly email matches this year, you should bounce over to that thread and give a word to keep them going.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...452#post298452

Team Savage

.575" 10 round group at 100 yards from the 260AI I'm tuning for my local 600 yard league. Testing this load at 600 yards a ten shot string netted a 100-7x so I'm hoping to give the guys a run for the money.

Basic Member
    I have to comment on the 'hit the target' thing. If the objective of the test is simply to see if the ammunition holds tight groups, then as long as all of the shots are on the paper it's fine. When the shooter finds a load that works in their rifle, they can of course adjust the sighting system to match POI with POA. These are not pictures of actual score competitions we're viewing here.

Basic Member

All are five shot groups, shot at 50 meters during load development. Axis 223 shot off sand bags. 55g vmax and benchmark.
    Jesse

DaveD
    Just am getting everything on the MkII sorted. First paper of the day.

And the best 10 shot group of the day

Still a couple flyers @ 100 yards but for the 3rd time out with it, Im not complaining.

Mostily bulk .22lr i.e. Winchester M22 and Federal Auto Match
    Last edited by DaveD; 01-10-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added info

Berger.Fan222
    Wow, there have been some great groups posted this week. Please consider entering some of these sweet results into the monthy Savage Shooters email match. The complete entry rules are here:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ctive-01-02-12

skiutah02

Some groups from year with Sav 12 FTR in 308

All in Savage 12 FTR in 308 factory with Vortex 6-24 FFP scope this year (purchased in Dec 2013)
    5 shot group with 178 HPBT at 300 yds. Sticker is 1 in.

178 AMAX at 300 yds top left (5 shots) and 155 SMK Palma on lower right. Stickers are 1"

178AMAX at 880 yds. Numbered the 12 shots. #12 is under arm and #11 is low.

178 HPBT at 600 yds (nicked a dime taped on orange sticker)

The rifle

Some spoils.....who says Savage can't take home some bling?

Ahenley45
    A few 5 shot 100 yard groups from my FCP- Mcmillian 308

Berger.Fan222
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahenley45 View Post
    A few 5 shot 100 yard groups from my FCP- Mcmillian 308
    You should consider entering those groups into this month's email match here at Savage Shooters. The rules are here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ctive-01-02-12)

I think this one is my smallest group, ever. Not sure on CTC size but I don't feel like I am cheating if I called it a .1. This was the first group fired using a Burris XTR II 8-40x50 scope, also the only group. I promptly put it away and broke out the specialty pistols. 30" Brux 1:8 6x47L 37.5 grains of RL17 with 105 Amaxes.

The interesting thing is there was a bunch of dialing in between shots to see how well it tracked. Fired the first, dialed up 5 MOA then back down and fired the second. Dialed up/10 MOA and fired the third shot. Seems to track perfectly. Or either I shoot bad and the tracking being off stacked the bullets for me.....

More shooting, less typing.

hombre243
    10 shot group. 50 yards. Savage MKII F/V 22 LR

hombre243
    25 yards, 10 shots Savage MKII F/V 22LR

So we did some shooting last weekend at 1000 yards and I really didn't feel like the gun was performing the way it should. Seemed to constantly just barely miss off the edges of the targets. Checked everything after shooting, everything was tight (rings, base, action, etc). After talking with a buddy, decided, maybe I need to actually clean the bore. I had adopted the notion that most people overclean, and that leaving some copper in the barrel for a while will actually help the accuracy. The problem was I had gotten super lax on any cleaning at all. I'm sure there were upwards of 3-400 rounds through it since it's last cleaning. Even cleaning carbon, much less copper. I decided to shoot some groups at 100yds to see what was going on. Shot 3 groups anywhere from 3/4moa to just over 1moa. The gun is much more capable than that. I am much more capable than that. So I cleaned the bore, down to bare metal. Hoppes #9 and Sweets 7.62. Patches, and brushes. 2 fouler shots, and a quick 3 shot group. Definite improvement. So I shot my last 5 rounds for a 5 shot group to see what we could do. Almost stopped after 3 because I was scared I was gonna pull one if I kept going. I've never been a fan of 3 shot groups though, so I couldn't let myself stop there. That last shot must have taken me 3-5 minutes to finally squeeze off. Haha This is that group. I must say I was extremely pleased.

5 shots, 100 yards.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    So we did some shooting last weekend at 1000 yards and I really didn't feel like the gun was performing the way it should. Seemed to constantly just barely miss off the edges of the targets. Checked everything after shooting, everything was tight (rings, base, action, etc). After talking with a buddy, decided, maybe I need to actually clean the bore. I had adopted the notion that most people overclean, and that leaving some copper in the barrel for a while will actually help the accuracy. The problem was I had gotten super lax on any cleaning at all. I'm sure there were upwards of 3-400 rounds through it since it's last cleaning. Even cleaning carbon, much less copper. I decided to shoot some groups at 100yds to see what was going on. Shot 3 groups anywhere from 3/4moa to just over 1moa. The gun is much more capable than that. I am much more capable than that. So I cleaned the bore, down to bare metal. Hoppes #9 and Sweets 7.62. Patches, and brushes. 2 fouler shots, and a quick 3 shot group. Definite improvement. So I shot my last 5 rounds for a 5 shot group to see what we could do. Almost stopped after 3 because I was scared I was gonna pull one if I kept going. I've never been a fan of 3 shot groups though, so I couldn't let myself stop there. That last shot must have taken me 3-5 minutes to finally squeeze off. Haha This is that group. I must say I was extremely pleased.

5 shots, 100 yards.

very nice group!! and isnt it amazing what happens when you clean your barrel...at 400 rounds accuracy was gone so now that youve cleaned it you need to keep close notes on how many rounds it takes before accuracy drops off again...im betting some where between 100 and 200 rounds and ill bet 150 will be your number. also if you want to make your cleaning easier ditch the sweets and the #9 and get a can of mercury powder tune for the carbon and a can of montana extreme 50BMG for the copper...if you get the MPT and 50BMG make sure you run a couple of patches of rubbing alcohol after each one to make sure you get it all out.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast