Thread: New barrel from Jim

New barrel from Jim

I know it really doesn't need to be said again... But Jim at NSS... a-freaking-mazing!!!!

He even spent the time walking me through head-spacing this morning, and told me how to time the brake (did it on friends Bridgeport). Will be back together fully tomorrow night after cerakoting, and range wednesday!

seanhagerty
    What was the secret to timing a brake?

Having a friend with a Bridgeport... and knowing that one revolution of 5/8x24 is .042"

Maxxwell86
    Quote Originally Posted by Digduggy View Post
    Having a friend with a Bridgeport... and knowing that one revolution of 5/8x24 is .042"
    And how do you know how many .042's cuts (or portions thereof) are needed, and are the cuts off the threaded shoulder or off the face of the brake?

Basic Member
    Jim is an excellent guy to do business with. He's old school....he actually speaks with you! I like that.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basically you guess... It started at about 1 oclock, dialed in .030 tested, we were then at 9 oclock and did .003 until close, then . 0005-.001 till proper, i went a smidge past, because cerakote is .001 thick. That will be x 2 because two surfaces...

Maxxwell86
    Quote Originally Posted by Digduggy View Post
    Basically you guess... It started at about 1 oclock, dialed in .030 tested, we were then at 9 oclock and did .003 until close, then . 0005-.001 till proper, i went a smidge past, because cerakote is .001 thick. That will be x 2 because two surfaces...

OK, I get that, but what is the indication that the brake is properly timed? Groups tighten up?

Basic Member
    Timing is just making sure all the ports line up where they should be (ie. Top holes are centered and on the top, rather than off at an angle, or on the bottom).

Violentstreak
    I just placed an order with him, super helpful. Will do business again.