Thread: .308 150gr TTSX for elk?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Hey Luke45

I am in Southern Oregon, so the quarry is Cascade elk. I hunt outside Crater Lake, and the timber is thick enough that shots are rarely over 100 yards. I figured that a .308 would be fine for hunting down here. My hunting partners all use 300winmag or 300wsm. They about jumped out of the truck when I pulled up with a "pea-shooter". But both of them complain about taking their ultra-light weight rifles out to the range to sight in... meanwhile I shoot my .308 year around (300 rounds a year). I guess I'll have to out shoot them to prove them wrong. Magnumitus is rampant in camp.

--SRS

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by sageratslayer View Post
    Hey Luke45

I am in Southern Oregon, so the quarry is Cascade elk. I hunt outside Crater Lake, and the timber is thick enough that shots are rarely over 100 yards. I figured that a .308 would be fine for hunting down here. My hunting partners all use 300winmag or 300wsm. They about jumped out of the truck when I pulled up with a "pea-shooter". But both of them complain about taking their ultra-light weight rifles out to the range to sight in... meanwhile I shoot my .308 year around (300 rounds a year). I guess I'll have to out shoot them to prove them wrong. Magnumitus is rampant in camp.

--SRS
    nice, my parents are from roseberg and winston down by there. my grandpa has killed alot of elk in that area, and he used an open sighted 20"barrel 308

while the 308 may not be the best hottest caliber in the world, it sure isn't a pea shooter! at the ranges your talking about it should be more than enough, id id bet money you will have better shot placement than your friends who are afraid to practice with thiers.