OK...building me a hunting rifle...woods here in Virginia, foot hills in the Shenandoah valley, out west in Idaho and Montana on longer business trips and maybe a South Island New Zealand trip too.

So I bought a stock blank from GPC (Numrich) in my quest for a old school M40'ish style rifle.

Plan is to get a LA, a heavy 308 or 30-06 barrel, CDI DBM and a really nice scope. Barrel will be cut down to 17.5" to shave some weight, but keep stiffness.

I chose this stock for a donor # 1228490A

My plan is to shave off the cheek pad to make the stock symmetrical while keeping the Monte Carlo cheek rise. I will also flatten the sides of the stock along the fore end so that I can epoxy glue two pieces of walnut onto the stock to re contour the fore end to a flat and wider beaver tail style bottom. Fore end will be 2.75 to 3"" wide when finished. I am looking for a stock equally adept at shooting offhand or off a small pack. It will have 3 embedded flush QD sling swivels, one on the left side toe of the stock, one on the bottom of the pistol grip and one on the bottom flat of the fore end. It will also have a small Picatinniy rail for mounting a bipod if needed.

Barrel channel will need opening up as well. Stock will be glass bedded once all mod's are done and after final fitting.

SO...I need a Butt Pad...any recommendations? Links would be nice...something rounded is what I think I want, also something that might soak up a little recoil too...

Target weigh for the rifle and scope is sub 9lbs