Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronograph: Why? When? How?

Basic Member

Got my first chrono recently, just after rebarreling the 223 with a primo barrel. Several ladder/OCW workups at 200 yards showed 4064 was better than the old standby Varget that worked so well with the old barrel; the nodes for each were in line with the optimum barrel time (OBT) using Quick Load. But I just wasn't happy that the groups were as good as they should have been, running a little over 1/2MOA at 200yd. So I shot the optimum loads using 69SMK and 75Horn Match with 4064 and crap, the extreme spread (ES) was 75-100fps! Well lets look at the good old Varget, eventhough the OCW and groups were not as good; even worse ES. Since this is a new barrel, tried new Lapua brass vs fire-formed LC; nada for ES. Now enter RL15 and the ES drops to 25! Moral of the story is you can use actual drops to calculate velocity, OCW/ladder tests, etc to find the load that gives you the most uniform bullet launch from the muzzle, but if the velocity is variable you will suffer the consequences at longer range. After using this 6 weeks I feel like the load optimization process has started over again with much more knowledge and insight.

Why do you need a chrono, because certain forum members think your full of it, that's why.LOL this is done on a regular basis I might add. amateurs

[IMG][/IMG]

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Just because you're full of it doesn't mean you aren't fast! LOL

You know this all started in my yooth when I discovered that, squirting WD40 into a break barrel pellet gun nearly doubled the FPS, and made the difference between the squirrel running away and expiring on the spot, plus it sounds like a rimfire going off.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-22-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    You know this all started in my yooth when I discovered that, squirting WD40 into a break barrel pellet gun nearly doubled the FPS, and made the difference between the squirrel running away and dieing and expiring on the spot, plus it sounds like a rimfire going off.

Dean
    I'm surprised you haven't made it a goal in life to max out a chrono machine!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    He going for the chronograph to say holy......

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I heard he's looking for a chrono that registers in warp factor because FPS is off the scale...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys, I think I "get it". I see everyone's points, and you're all obviously correct. Because I have limited access to anything other than 100 yards, I guess I better start using the dang thing before I get false hopes of being able to expect any kind of long range accuracy with loads that produce / exhibit high ES.

Sorry, Eddie and Weatherby, but I will keep you in mind. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I heard he's looking for a chrono that registers in warp factor because FPS is off the scale...
    Haha! He is waiting for the fast scanning radar to be available to the general public

You have all got it wrong, I am just waiting for the 5 digit display model to come out.LOL

Dean

Basic Member
    You have all got it wrong, I am just waiting for the 5 digit display model to come out.LOL

Dean
    Try squirting some WD-40 on it and see what happens!

Dean
    Rumor has it you're not satisfied with surpassing the speed of light and are now pushing the edges of time/space continuum. I was wondering how you managed to look younger after each range session.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Try squirting some WD-40 on it and see what happens!
    I did, my wife said she did not see any difference.

Dean

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Hmmmm...
    I wonder if that WD40 thing will work in my 30.06...

Now, if only I had a chrono.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Savage6x284
    As stated the chronograph is just one tool in the range bag. It can be useful, illuminating, frustrating (the Shooting Chrony), confusing, and pleasing all in one range session!
    Speed data is fun to collect, useful for bragging rights and for bagging on your slow tubed friends. Great for shutting up the guy claiming his newest whizbang travels just below escape velocity and is utterly flat to the horizon.
    As mentioned, one of the most important things we can do with a chronograph is pay attention to it. When the numbers show we've reached the max expected velocity then you're pretty likely to also be at max pressure.
    The chronograph becomes a much more powerful development tool when we add actual realized chamber pressures to the mix.
    With the addition of the Pressure Trace System to your data collection arsenal, each range session now gathers enough information to fully exploit the unique characteristics of each gun equipped with a strain gage.
    The Pressure Trace can be maddening at times.
    Even scary.
    BUT, adding the actual chamber pressure measurements to the speed data from the chronograph and grouping data from the target gives the reloader a much more powerful data set. Loads can be optimized with regard to speed and pressure for each individual firearm.

As far as suggestions I'll unhesitatingly endorse the Competition Dynamics Pro Chrono Digital in the inexpensive category. SO much better than anything else in this price range . It's not even close really.
    At the high end you can't lose with a Oehler 35 but the Necos (the QuickLoad folks) PVM-08 is highly regarded as well. I'd like to try one.
    If you can find (and afford) one of the coveted and elusive Oehler 43PBL (Personal Ballistics Laboratory) systems you'll have your speed and your pressure data all gathered by one unit.

DennisPA
    I have three main reasons I use a chronograph.

1. The average speed of my load gives me an idea of what my drops should be. But it is by far not the only number you need. It needs to be confirmed on the target at distance. Chronographs have a tolerance just like any other machine and so do the B.C.'s of the bullets. Both can greatly affect your drop charts.

2. Once I have found the speed my barrel likes the best a chronograph is easy way of keeping a check on the speed when going from one lot of powder to the next lot. Just changing lot numbers can change your load by a 0.1 of grain or more.

3. As the barrel wears your velocity drops so again it's an easy way to keep an eye on your velocity, to keep it in the node for your barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12