Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really itching for a 260... thoughts on a couple of options? Hog Hunter?

bflee

The 6.5 Creed made a much better long range shooter out of me!
    I could not hit like I do now with the 308. I am sure I could have with alot more experience, but the 6.5 Creed made it seem alot easier.

Nice. Do you have any 260 experience?

bflee
    No, but I am willing to try it! Do you have one I can use a while?

thomae
    Gun Shack (an advertiser on this forum) has 260 and 260 AI barrels on sale right now.
    Worth a look.
    I purchased one of their 6.5 Swede barrels and it easily has legs out to 1K plus (1050 - 1100 is the longest I have shot it.)

emtrescue6
    There's a slightly used stainless heavy barrel (Shillen) on the classifieds now for a good price....become a paid member and go take a look.

Basic Member
    My thoughts are that if you are set up to reload for the 308 now I would keep the 308 totally set up and go with a new build. No point in getting rid of the reloading stuff you have because, you are on THIS site and the building bug will bite ya, you will come back to the 308 eventually. Why sell all your stuff and then have to start over down the road. Sounds to me like you really want a 260. I say build the 260! This is again where the building bug will bite ya AGAIN. You can always do something else later!

I have a 260 AI and the 308. I like my 260 better because it has a better trigger than the 308. My 308 is a tricked out and loaded Remington 700 and she is a shooter. Better that half MOA when I do my part. Bottom line I have more confidence in the 260 so I shoot it MORE and therefor better. Lonewolf said it really well above about learning your gear! Most of us are shooting for fun so I really think that has to be the goal. Work up your rifle the way you want it and have fun!

I so need a support group! Cause I want one of EACH! LOL
    MOAON AABE

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Gun Shack (an advertiser on this forum) has 260 and 260 AI barrels on sale right now.
    Worth a look.
    I purchased one of their 6.5 Swede barrels and it easily has legs out to 1K plus (1050 - 1100 is the longest I have shot it.)
    Yeah, those, and Apache, are part of the reason for this thread. They're ER Shaw barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    There's a slightly used stainless heavy barrel (Shillen) on the classifieds now for a good price....become a paid member and go take a look.
    I am a paid member, and I saw it. I can get a Shillen brand new from NSS for $299... kinda hard to pay $250 for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    My thoughts are that if you are set up to reload for the 308 now I would keep the 308 totally set up and go with a new build. No point in getting rid of the reloading stuff you have because, you are on THIS site and the building bug will bite ya, you will come back to the 308 eventually. Why sell all your stuff and then have to start over down the road. Sounds to me like you really want a 260. I say build the 260! This is again where the building bug will bite ya AGAIN. You can always do something else later!

I have a 260 AI and the 308. I like my 260 better because it has a better trigger than the 308. My 308 is a tricked out and loaded Remington 700 and she is a shooter. Better that half MOA when I do my part. Bottom line I have more confidence in the 260 so I shoot it MORE and therefor better. Lonewolf said it really well above about learning your gear! Most of us are shooting for fun so I really think that has to be the goal. Work up your rifle the way you want it and have fun!

I so need a support group! Cause I want one of EACH! LOL
    Yeah, I keep going back and forth between a 260, a 260 AI, and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Ugh. I suck at making decisions... lol.

Basic Member
    I was doing some reading today and even the 6.5x47 will perform like the 260 with less powder consumption and longer barrel life.

emtrescue6
    If the goal is really to out-perform the 308 (which is no small task) the bet option is the 6.5-06 or one of the 6.5 WSM/SAUM options....the others (260, 6.5 Creed...) only marginally outperform the 308...

bflee
    The 260 and 6.5 CM hold supersonic much longer than the 308. There was only 1 308 at the PRS last year among several 6.5's and most of the rest were 260's. The 308 holds its own for under 600 or so but it will not "hang" with the 260 or 6.5CM.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    The 260 and 6.5 CM hold supersonic much longer than the 308. There was only 1 308 at the PRS last year among several 6.5's and most of the rest were 260's. The 308 holds its own for under 600 or so but it will not "hang" with the 260 or 6.5CM.
    When comparing 140g 6.5 trajectory with that of the 175g 308....drop is negotiable out to 1000....yes, the 6.5 is marginally better...but the 308 can certainly compete and hold it's own in proper hands. The point is this...we're talking about someone who owns a single bolt rifle and isn't competing at PRS...any significant gains in increased accuracy at 1000 for him will come from him trigger time and just plain experience...and an upgrade to his equipment more than just a caliber/barrel.

bflee
    That is true, but I can honestly say the CM made a much better long range shooter out of me! Then again I dont have as much tied up in my 308 as I do my 6.5, so alot of it could be the rifle and scope combo. I do like the lack of recoil also but that may be due to the weight of the rifle also. I let a 7 year old boy who had never shot anything but a 22lr shoot it and he was ringing an 8" plate at 400! He didnt even seat it on his shoulder!

emtrescue6

Really itching for a 260... thoughts on a couple of options? Hog Hunter?

That is true, but I can honestly say the CM made a much better long range shooter out of me! Then again I dont have as much tied up in my 308 as I do my 6.5, so alot of it could be the rifle and scope combo. I do like the lack of recoil also but that may be due to the weight of the rifle also. I let a 7 year old boy who had never shot anything but a 22lr shoot it and he was ringing an 8" plate at 400! He didnt even seat it on his shoulder!
    Well obviously if you invest heavily in a 6.5 over a mostly stock 308 (or vise-versa)....that was exactly my point, it's going to take more $ than just a new barrel to make a huge difference over the 308....better stock, blueprint the action, pillar and action bedded, percision recoil lug, better glass....and lots of trigger time to be consistent out to 1k....I have about $2,000 (total) into my 10 FLCP-K so far (and it was a good starting platform) to keep me on target out to 1k....and spent a lot of time/money on load development as well. And yes, weight makes a huge difference...my 9 year old daughter who hunts with a .243 right now has been able to take my heavy A$$ flcp-k out to 250 so far and ring 6" plates...the 14 or so pounds that stupid thing weighs makes a huge difference.

bflee
    I just bought the LRP and a PST 6-24x50 ffp. I have 1900 toed up in it now. My 308 is no slouch either though. It just has a 20" bull barrel and a leupold.

emtrescue6
    I just bought the LRP and a PST 6-24x50 ffp. I have 1900 toed up in it now. My 308 is no slouch either though. It just has a 20" bull barrel and a leupold.
    Nice! My flcp-k has the same scope your LRP has...and I've had the action blueprinted and a few other little things...next step is a Manners chassis with CDI bottom metal and AICS mags I think...already having a pile of AICS mags laying around makes it a natural decision...LOL

bflee
    I think I am gonna keep it stock. It works too good to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf
    I was doing some reading today and even the 6.5x47 will perform like the 260 with less powder consumption and longer barrel life.
    I was reading on that as well after a buddy of mine suggested it, but after doing some reading, seems like you have to run it pretty hot to get the same FPS out of it. From a wear/tear side, I feel like running something like a 260, AI, or Creed not quite as hard is easier on components than running a 6.5x47 balls to the wall. Need to look into it a little more though.

This.

When comparing 140g 6.5 trajectory with that of the 175g 308....drop is negotiable out to 1000....yes, the 6.5 is marginally better...but the 308 can certainly compete and hold it's own in proper hands. The point is this...we're talking about someone who owns a single bolt rifle and isn't competing at PRS...any significant gains in increased accuracy at 1000 for him will come from him trigger time and just plain experience...and an upgrade to his equipment more than just a caliber/barrel.
    See above... and thank you for insulting me. Just because I'm new to the forum, don't own 20 bolt guns, and don't compete at PRS doesn't mean I'm incompetent, thanks. I've been shooting since I was a kid, but more of it was handgun than rifle. I've shot handgun competitions with my old man who has done the same since I was a kid, and builds custom 1911s. Overall, I'd same I'm a fairly good shot. No, I don't have a $1k Vortex, but SWFA SS scopes get some of the best reviews out there, and so far, my experience seems to hold true. I have plenty of trigger time, and will be the first to say that there is no such thing as too much. I shoot every chance I get, and have no problem making good repeatable hits out to and beyond 800 yards. Actually, the first time I took this gun out with 3 friends, I was the only one that hit the 800 yd steel, and it was a first round hit. All 3 of them then laid down behind my gun and did the same thing. They were all dialing in new loads, and the chrono was broken, so their dope wasn't exactly right out the 800 (They were fine at 500).

Everyone keeps harping on 1000 yards. Again, my goal is to make good hits beyond that. Into the 1200-1300 yd range at least. These rounds will stay supersonic into that range, making things a little more predictable. The 308 will not.

Well obviously if you invest heavily in a 6.5 over a mostly stock 308 (or vise-versa)....that was exactly my point, it's going to take more $ than just a new barrel to make a huge difference over the 308....better stock, blueprint the action, pillar and action bedded, percision recoil lug, better glass....and lots of trigger time to be consistent out to 1k....I have about $2,000 (total) into my 10 FLCP-K so far (and it was a good starting platform) to keep me on target out to 1k....and spent a lot of time/money on load development as well. And yes, weight makes a huge difference...my 9 year old daughter who hunts with a .243 right now has been able to take my heavy A$$ flcp-k out to 250 so far and ring 6" plates...the 14 or so pounds that stupid thing weighs makes a huge difference.
    I realize the Tacticool is cheap, but it is bedded, with pillars, and is a pretty heavy, solid design. Obviously the load development will come, and will be thorough, once I figure out what I'm going with. That's the whole point. If I'm going to go with a 260, 260 AI, or a 6.5 Creed, I want to do it now, so as not to waste money and time on load development for a 308 I will no longer have.
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 05-19-2014 at 12:43 AM.

bflee
    I would do it now also. As a matter of fact thats what I did. I still have my 308, and i love it, but for my long range work I will use the 6.5CM.

Basic Member
    I just finished a 6.5x47 for my son. We havent had time yet to stretch its legs out past a 100 but it truly shoots into the same hole at that distance. I would say that the down side on that round is cost. The dies set me back 130 dollars and I had to wait almost 3 months for them to get to me. So the cost for the Lapua is a little higher than the 260.... Man I hear you on the decision making part. So my suggestion is BUILD EM ALL... lol you will be more than happy with what ever you go with casue you put it together yourself. Thats huge. And not to beat that dead horse.... Have fun with it.

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

I would do it now also. As a matter of fact thats what I did. I still have my 308, and i love it, but for my long range work I will use the 6.5CM.
    Right on

Quote Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
    I just finished a 6.5x47 for my son. We havent had time yet to stretch its legs out past a 100 but it truly shoots into the same hole at that distance. I would say that the down side on that round is cost. The dies set me back 130 dollars and I had to wait almost 3 months for them to get to me. So the cost for the Lapua is a little higher than the 260.... Man I hear you on the decision making part. So my suggestion is BUILD EM ALL... lol you will be more than happy with what ever you go with casue you put it together yourself. Thats huge. And not to beat that dead horse.... Have fun with it.

Ryan
    Good info. Build details? What barrel did you use?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12