Thread: Long Action DBM

seanhagerty

Long Action DBM

Does anyone make a Bottom Metal and Detachable mag (10 Round) for a 308 based cartridge on the savage long action?

I have seen plenty based on the 300 wm cartidge, but I am 260 rem shooter and would like to stay that way.

reynoldsfamily3
    Email CDI. I had several questions for my build and they were extremely helpful. Their reply was always within 48 hours, so you don't have long to wait for an answer.

Basic Member
    +1 on CDI. They helped with two builds and are great to deal with.

Yes, CDI makes a LA/308 mag DBM for Savage.

Works great, I have one on my 110 223AI.

seanhagerty
    Looking at CDI's site, it seems the DBM is for the long action, but the AI mags are short action mags. How does this work? Boilerup, I hate to pester you but could you send me a pic of the DBM mounted in the stock with the mag installed. Both from the top and bottom of the rifle, specifically showing through the ejection port.

Thanks for any help.

Sean

Here's how it looks out of the stock:

Here's how it looks in the stock:

My A5 was inletted by CDI specifically for the LA/308 mag DBM but this is how it looks in a standard CDI long action/300WM inlet:

With the LA/308 DBM, you can run a 204/223 extended bolt baffle and bolt throw is only 1/4" longer than a Savage short action.

I can get top/bottom pics of my A5 later if you still want them.

seanhagerty
    It looks like the bottom metal is for a long action, but it uses short action mags. Is this correct? If yes,at the top of the mag, is there a gap at the rear? I am just concerned about how this works. I guess with the extended baffle, the gap wouldnt be that big a deal. My action was originally a 7mm mag and and just want to be sure before i drop the dollars. Also, what is the max oal the mag will accept?

Thanks a bunch for this.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    It looks like the bottom metal is for a long action, but it uses short action mags. Is this correct?
    Yes. CDI makes two Savage 110 long action DBMs, one that uses AICS 300WM magazines and another than uses AICS 308 magazines. Mine pictured above is the LA/308 model.

If yes,at the top of the mag, is there a gap at the rear?
    Yes, a small gap at the top near the mag, with a larger one if you don't use the extended bolt baffle.

The AICS 223 mag accepts 2.55", AICS/Accurate 308 mags accept roughly 2.87", Alpha Type IIs or modified AICS mags (front plate removed) take 2.95ish.

My stock originally came from McMillan as a full-glass single shot and was inletted by Jeff @ CDI.

With extended bolt baffle:

With standard bolt baffle:

From bottom:

seanhagerty
    Thank you sir. You have helped me a lot here.

Sean

+1 thanks for the pictures boiler up! i also didnt know that existed. now considering trading one of my long actions for a short action doesnt seem like that good of an idea.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

seanhagerty
    Thread resurrection.

I talked to CDI yesterday, they have a sale going on, where they will inlet your bottom metal for free when you buy the bottom metal. The deal is extended through August. (Their website shows it ends in July.)

Maxxwell86
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Yes. CDI makes two Savage 110 long action DBMs, one that uses AICS 300WM magazines and another than uses AICS 308 magazines.

The AICS 223 mag accepts 2.55", AICS/Accurate 308 mags accept roughly 2.87", Alpha Type IIs or modified AICS mags (front plate removed) take 2.95ish.
    Will any of these work wth a stagger feed long action?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxwell86 View Post
    Will any of these work wth a stagger feed long action?
    Yes. The LA/308 DBM is specifically for LA SFs and I'm not sure if it will also work with CFs or not (though bolt spacing is the same)...and I have read that CDI makes the 300WM DBM for both CF and SF actions, you just need to specify which you have when you order.

Basic Member
    Forgive me for my potential ignorance regarding this situation, but I thought the advantage to running a long action with a short action caliber was to be able to run a longer than normal OAL? If that's the case what length do you actually gain if you still have to run a short action magazine? Again apologize for the potentially stupid question just slightly confused is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12BVSS View Post
    Forgive me for my potential ignorance regarding this situation, but I thought the advantage to running a long action with a short action caliber was to be able to run a longer than normal OAL? If that's the case what length do you actually gain if you still have to run a short action magazine? Again apologize for the potentially stupid question just slightly confused is all.
    Some people do it for a longer OAL and some do it cause it's the action they already have. I had a 7mm that I converted to 260 and have a barrel with a match chamber so my rounds are too long to fit in a standard 308 AICS mag. I currently run the factory internal mag box in my A3 but I am thinking about doing some tactical matches and a DBM setup will provide faster reloads. If I run the Alpha Type 2 mags my rounds will fit and I can use the CDI LA/308 bottom metal. However, I am considering running the standard LA DBM with the 300 mags incase I ever convert the rifle back to a LA cartridge.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"

-Thomas Jefferson