Thread: Load development and barrel cleaning?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Five seems to be the magic number for my factory barrels as well. But, my Shilen barrels usually only require one...if any.
    It seems to support the theory that the reason fouling can help is it helps correct for tooling marks, etc. Otherwise, higher grade barrels with fewer tooling marks, etc. would also need more fouling. Just my thoughts.

Basic Member
    Agreed. Hand lapping by the pros is a wonderful thing, albeit expensive.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

n4ue
    yo1. Go to 6mmbr.com and read what the bbl makers have to say about break-in and cleaning. It ranges from "clean after every shot" to "never". Could be a way to sell more bbls. However, most premium bbl makers say they have seen more rifle bbls ruined by poor cleaning practices (muzzle end, JB, etc), and rapid firing, than anything else.
    I have a large collection of rifles and I refuse to shoot any bullets that haven't been HBN coated. Yeah, it slows the rounds down, but it's worth it.....

IMHO, flame suit ON!!!

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    yo1. Go to 6mmbr.com and read what the bbl makers have to say about break-in and cleaning. It ranges from "clean after every shot" to "never". Could be a way to sell more bbls. However, most premium bbl makers say they have seen more rifle bbls ruined by poor cleaning practices (muzzle end, JB, etc), and rapid firing, than anything else.
    I have a large collection of rifles and I refuse to shoot any bullets that haven't been HBN coated. Yeah, it slows the rounds down, but it's worth it.....

IMHO, flame suit ON!!!

ron
    What is HBN coated? I've been playing with 50 g v max, 50 g moly v max, 50 nosler ballistic, and 53 g vmax.

n4ue
    Just do a Google search on WS2 (Tungsten Disulphide) and HBN (Hex Boron Nitrate). These materials were developed for the space program and have the lowest coefficient of friction known. The WS2 is dark and messy. The HBN looks like powdered sugar. Both have particle size so small, it can get into the pores of your skin.
    When 'impact plated' to bullet jackets, it bonds one molecule thick, because it can't stick to itself.

Lots of non believers dismiss this process, but I'll bet they can shoot as well as David Tubb!!!

I love it and NIB rifles shoot so well, most won't believe it....

Whatever....
    ron

Basic Member
    N4ue

I've never heard of that but very interesting! I thought I was high tech with my moly vmax's lol