Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Budget 1000yrd 308

Basic Member

My Budget 1000yrd 308

Well, it took a while but I finally got a 308. I plan to shoot steel at 1000 yards. I was eyeing the Model 11VT from Dick's Sporting Goods and the Model 10 Tactical from Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart model had the oversized bolt handle and the Dick's came with a scope. I decided to go with the Dick's model because I thought the combo was a better value. Here she is the day she came home:

I used this scope for a little bit of barrel break in (nothing fancy, just shot a box of cheap ammo), and load testing.

Next, I knew the combo scope would not cut it for 1000 yard shooting. I went with the SWFA SS 16x42 fixed power, SWFA rings (low), and an EGW 20 MOA mount:

Since this is a "budge" thread, here is a price breakdown of the rifle thus far:
    Rifle: $499 + $38.07 tax + $10 Background Check Fee = $547.07
    Scope: $254.96 + $14.46 shipping = $269.42
    Rings: (Shipped with scope) = $34.95
    Base: $39.99 + $7.75 shipping = $47.74

Total: $899.18

I know the weak point with this rifle thus far is the flimsy stock. It's a shame because I like the shape of the stock. I have back-ordered a Boyd's Tacticool stock with limbsaver recoil pad which I plan on bedding.

Future plans include a tactical bolt handle (not really necessary, just something I've always wanted), metal trigger guard, and I'm considering having the barrel threaded for a brake. Stay tuned for build progress and target photos. Thoughts?

Looks good!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Oscarflytyer
    Starting with the exact same rifle! Just got mine. With coupons I had, was $389 + tax. Put a $30 bipod on it. Working on bbl break-in right now. I am going to get it to shoot as good as possible with current set-up, and then will eventually upgrade.

Shouldn't need the 20 MOA base especially with that scope, but looks good.
    Depends on zero and air, but where I shoot I only need 12mils with 175's from a sedate launch speed
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Dick's actually charged you a "background check" fee? That's BS, IMHO.
    I run NICS checks everyday, have NEVER charged a customer for it.

Back on topic, sorry.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post

Back on topic, sorry.
    It's a colorado thing. I figured someone would pick up on that. It is fitting that it would be a Texan :)

jrose361
    I have been looking at that rifle but in 223 so will be falling this to see how it works and may change my mind to move up to 308

If its the same stock that comes with the 10 FCP-K with a 3point bedding block, then you,ll be suprised as to how well the rifle performs with the oem stock.
    Seeing as how you got the "budget rig" thing happening, Id put more money into propellants and projectiles as opposed to a stock.
    Theres nothing sweeter than to pull up to the firing line, send the rounds out to 1K and hit your target just as the shooter next to you who just spent double the amount of cold hard cash.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrose361 View Post
    I have been looking at that rifle but in 223 so will be falling this to see how it works and may change my mind to move up to 308
    Cool! I'll keep the thread updated but it may be a few weeks until I get to the range. I prefer my .223 in an AR platform. I have a build around an economical 18" DPMS Mk12 barrel that shoots clovers at 100yrds. It's just personal preference.

NotoriousAPP

Back on topic, sorry.

I was about to type the same thing......and yes, I'm in Texas.

NotoriousAPP
    I'm doing the same thing with a savage 110 someone traded me for a palmetto state armory built lower. Viper pst shipped yesterday, Boyd's tacticool was installed last week...have 11 months to wait for the Saker . I'm trying to figure out which mount to get. What do you think of the EGW?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousAPP View Post
    I'm doing the same thing with a savage 110 someone traded me for a palmetto state armory built lower. Viper pst shipped yesterday, Boyd's tacticool was installed last week...have 11 months to wait for the Saker . I'm trying to figure out which mount to get. What do you think of the EGW?
    The EGW isn't bad... it's pretty well recommended on these forums. It's very good for the price. I could tell that the screw holes didn't line up perfectly but I got them threaded in without it being a big issue. If you're looking at stiffening up your action to squeeze as much accuracy out of as possible, you may want to consider a steel base (instead of aluminum).

Mike Vegas
    nice starter rig!!! I love shooting the 168 AMAX and the 175 SMK out to 1K yards... but the 150 FMJ and 155 grain HPBT are also fun to shoot if the heavies are not available...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vegas View Post
    nice starter rig!!! I love shooting the 168 AMAX and the 175 SMK out to 1K yards... but the 150 FMJ and 155 grain HPBT are also fun to shoot if the heavies are not available...
    exactly.
    {John Wayne}

Back on topic, sorry.
    Ditto, not done in Georgia either. So the state is charging you for a Federal back ground check.........interesting.

Xds45guy
    Hello all. I recently purchased a model 10FP in .308. I'm looking for a couple opinions. I would like to know a quality bipod for this rifle; as well, I was curious to know if the internal mag can be replaced with a detachable mag? I'm looking to eventually get out to 1k yards, so I like quality over value. Any thoughts?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xds45guy View Post
    Hello all. I recently purchased a model 10FP in .308. I'm looking for a couple opinions. I would like to know a quality bipod for this rifle; as well, I was curious to know if the internal mag can be replaced with a detachable mag? I'm looking to eventually get out to 1k yards, so I like quality over value. Any thoughts?
    Harris bipods seem to be the industry standard. I plan on shooting mine on a rifle rest and bags mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Ditto, not done in Georgia either. So the state is charging you for a Federal back ground check.........interesting.
    The state doesn't charge the fee. The store does. It's just another way for them to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiddon View Post
    The state doesn't charge the fee. The store does. It's just another way for them to make money.
    Not necessarily, here in Nevada the state performs the background check and charges the fee. NICS is not used.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Not necessarily, here in Nevada the state performs the background check and charges the fee. NICS is not used.
    This is correct. There are a few states that handle it themselves and don't use the NICS system. IIRC, Tennessee is another. But other than those few, everyone else uses NICS. If a dealer charges you, it's just more $$$ in his pocket. If you tell him it's a deal breaker for you, he'll probably forgo that fee. If not, I'd walk.
    Also, if you read line #23 of the 4473, in most all cases, a NICS check is not required if you have a CHL.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Nevada is that way. No background if you're a CCW holder.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Looks good man. We have almost the same exact build. I have the Dicks 11vt, SWFA 16x mrad, EGW 20moa, Burris XTR low rings, Harris 6-9 swivel bipod, and a Choate tactical fully adjustable. Up next will be CDI or PTG bottom metal. And I am debating on milling the side of the action for the top bolt release or not.

Basic Member
    Well, I finally have some target photos to share. This was shot during load development: Sierra Matchking 175gr, 43gr IMR4320, Win Commercial Brass, Win Primers. I'm a bit stumped; there are five shots here and this was all one group despite looking like two groups. Everything on my part was consistent (as far as I know), and I don't think human error had too much of a part in it. Overall, this group is about 1.5" but I'm hoping there was some sort of anomaly and these two groups sync up into one with my subsequent loads.

(The grid is made up of 1/2" squares.)

I loaded up the rest of my Sierra Matchking bullets using this recipe, and plan to try and ring steel at 1000 with them.

Looks good Chris. Im curious as to your speed. Im running 41.5 of 4064 with the 175,s @ 2700fps.
    The 4320 shows a slower burn rate so you may be running 2700-ish?
    I had similar results with the 175,s on my K model and decided to use fire formed/neck sized brass and so far has brought my groupings in tighter with more consistancy ( 0.5 MOA).
    (for me)..my rule of thumb before I start sending out to 1K is I have to have a 5 shot 1/2" pattern @ 100 (frequently)with whatever load Im working on. Being off by 1/2" @ 100 equates to be off by 5",s at 1K (wind dependant)
    Course theres always that feeling of failure when youve spend so much time on load development and for the life of you, cant read and adjust to the wind at 1k to save your life.......................on the other hand.....its a super extra special day when you can lay your rig down, look thru your glass, read the flags/terrain/mirage, adjust accordingly.....send it, and hit your target 1st shot.
    Go for it Chris!.......send-em out to 1K....see what gives.
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Looks good Chris. Im curious as to your speed. Im running 41.5 of 4064 with the 175,s @ 2700fps.
    The 4320 shows a slower burn rate so you may be running 2700-ish?
    I had similar results with the 175,s on my K model and decided to use fire formed/neck sized brass and so far has brought my groupings in tighter with more consistancy ( 0.5 MOA).
    (for me)..my rule of thumb before I start sending out to 1K is I have to have a 5 shot 1/2" pattern @ 100 (frequently)with whatever load Im working on. Being off by 1/2" @ 100 equates to be off by 5",s at 1K (wind dependant)
    Course theres always that feeling of failure when youve spend so much time on load development and for the life of you, cant read and adjust to the wind at 1k to save your life.......................on the other hand.....its a super extra special day when you can lay your rig down, look thru your glass, read the flags/terrain/mirage, adjust accordingly.....send it, and hit your target 1st shot.
    Go for it Chris!.......send-em out to 1K....see what gives.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be chrono'ing the loads this weekend and will report back the results. This is all the commercial brass I have but I have about 500pcs of LC military brass, so next I think I'll try and load up some of the Hornady A-Max 178s using the LC brass. When you refer to fire formed/neck sized brass, does that mean you don't resize after firing? I'm new to reloading (this is my first batch) so I'm still learning the ropes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast