Thread: Bonded bullets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    All bullets that are marketed as medium game hunting bullets will kill a whitetail with a hit in the boiler room at adequate velocity. The OP's position was that lightly constructed bullets kill quicker, and more efficiently due to the "explosive" effect these bullets have inside game. I think that in most instances (except in those instances involving a bullet failure), he's correct, due to the massive trauma caused by these bullets. The tremendous fragmentation can cause massive bleeding in all directions for quite a distance perpendicular to the bullet's path. This also transfers a lot of shock into the animal, which tends to anchor it long enough for the bleeding to cause death. More heavily constructed bonded or solid copper bullets, while doing an excellent job of staying together, penetrating, and avoiding fragmentation (as they're designed to do), by the nature of their construction, don't create as much havoc inside the animal, except right around the wound channel. This is also very deadly, just not quite as quickly or dramatically deadly as with bullets that "grenade" inside the animal. However, there will be a blood trail, and meat damage will be minimal with the "better" bullets. JMHO
    You just stated in a much better way, the point I have been trying to make

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    You just stated in a much better way, the point I have been trying to make
    Thanks Luke, and I do understand what you're saying, and even agree to a point, but I just don't trust bullets like SST's or Ballistic Tips, due to their occasionally quirky behavior, and the idea that i don't like my sausage flavored with lead. But you are absolutely correct that "premium" bullets are not necessary for deer hunting. They are, however, what some folks prefer to use, and that's all good.

How's that for riding the fence?? Lol.