Thread: Powder can left open 2 days

Basic Member

Powder can left open 2 days

Left about 1/4 pound of Varget in my RCBS powder measurer and trickler yesterday morning. Dehumidifier is sitting right next to it, comes on intermittently with a setting for 55%. Have had it on for a week and the bucket is half full... I hate to throw out the powder, but how do I know if it has altered a bit? Do I mix it into a larger amount of fresh powder and forget about it? I guess I am asking mostly b/c I have never really had good luck with Varget, but thought I'd try some in my new .308. Because it's new, I won't be able to judge whether the powder has changed a bit or not.

Mike Vegas
    I have powders left out for 4-7 months at a time in my RCBS 1500 and they shot the same like fresh powder. But then again I live in a dry heat state. I really doubt powder will go bad that easily, unless water made contact with the powder...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vegas View Post
    I have powders left out for 4-7 months at a time in my RCBS 1500 and they shot the same like fresh powder. But then again I live in a dry heat state. I really doubt powder will go bad that easily, unless water made contact with the powder...
    Totally agree. I have left powder in the hopper for a couple weeks at a time and have had no ill effects. My loading area is in my basement and I too have a dehumidifier running not 15ft away. I keep mine at 45% but still, if its not super humid and no water actually contacted the powder I wouldn't have any worries.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys.

the Ranger
    i leave powder in the hopper of my shot shell loader all the time, it doesn't seem to have effected that powder at all. the lid doesn't really seal. I know, not the same as rifle cartridge, but take it for what it's worth.

emtrescue6
    I wouldn't sweat it Foxx, the humidity hasn't been that high here in MI yet and it should be fine...like you, I am not a Varget fan, but even it should be fine for a day or three without any concern.

Patch700
    ..... If that was 4831SC I'd say it's toast and you should sell my whatever quantities you have left lol...

Bike Effects
    Send it to me for testing. You can't be too careful.

Basic Member
    LOL You guys don't know how funny but true that all is...

With other calibers, I have not had good luck so far with Varget, and no one around here does... I actually sold the 5 pounds I have of it to one of our brothers here but we haven't been able to get together yet to make the delivery... anyhow, I went ahead and loaded up some test loads from a partial bottle I have. Just had to try it with the 308. No worries, Bro, I can get all I want to replace it if I decide I like it. What I have is still yours. :) Really.

Anyhow, I still have not been able to get out and test it yet.

Patch, I am liking 4831SC, too. It works wonders in my 270WSM. Won't be needing to unload that anytime soon. :)

Patch700
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    LOL You guys don't know how funny but true that all is...

With other calibers, I have not had good luck so far with Varget, and no one around here does... I actually sold the 5 pounds I have of it to one of our brothers here but we haven't been able to get together yet to make the delivery... anyhow, I went ahead and loaded up some test loads from a partial bottle I have. Just had to try it with the 308. No worries, Bro, I can get all I want to replace it if I decide I like it. What I have is still yours. :) Really.

Anyhow, I still have not been able to get out and test it yet.

Patch, I am liking 4831SC, too. It works wonders in my 270WSM. Won't be needing to unload that anytime soon. :)

I have enough to make it through one more barrel so HOPEFULLY I'll get some before too long lol... I still have a few pounds of N-160 that has been a very nice powder as well for me , using more or less same charges as 4831sc but burns cleaner... Sadly the source for my N-160 has dried up too.. If you get the chance to try a pound of N-160 it'd be worth you while , the 560 will get you better velocities but it's quite hard on the pipe as compared to 160. Haven't tried it with magnum primers tho , just 210M's.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Left about 1/4 pound of Varget in my RCBS powder measurer and trickler yesterday morning. Dehumidifier is sitting right next to it, comes on intermittently with a setting for 55%. Have had it on for a week and the bucket is half full... I hate to throw out the powder, but how do I know if it has altered a bit? Do I mix it into a larger amount of fresh powder and forget about it? I guess I am asking mostly b/c I have never really had good luck with Varget, but thought I'd try some in my new .308. Because it's new, I won't be able to judge whether the powder has changed a bit or not.
    foxx, you have the dehumifier out already? with the heat being on still in MI it is pretty dry...but that could be here in GR
    newbie from gr, mi.