Thread: Too Much MOA required

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A mounting base made for a round back action and installed on a flat back could cause the rifle to shoot extremely low, but it would still hit paper at 25 yards if the scope was able to be adjusted to the bore using the bolt removed sighting method. You've used three different bases, and two different scopes with the same result. Game over. Send it back to Savage and let them make it right. It should be very obvious to them when they put it on the bench using their sighting system that there is a very real problem with the rifle. If they can't find a problem, then the same person who let it leave the factory is the one trying to make it right lol. It's been mentioned a couple of times here already, but this issue has been seen quite a bit lately.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

SKami
    Westcliffe01 that would be true if the scope was mounted with a ZERO MOA base, but it is not, I have a shimmed 20 MOA base under it, that by my math is building in 60 MOA before I start. And only then did I see it start printing on paper. I realize 8 inches is only 8 MOA, or 32 clicks on a 1/4 MOA scope, but I have bottomed the scope adjustment as well and still barely able to get on paper. The fact is sighting in a rifle is generally not rocket science, I've never had any issues sighting in any other rifle I own or have owned, no expert, not trying to be, but something here is way off and frustrating. To me any way, a rifle labeled LRP shouldn't require that much to get it zeroed at a 100 yrds -you'd never be able to shoot this rifle at 1000, there's not to many scope/base combinations made with the MOA required to shoot THIS rifle at 500 yrds, let alone 1000.
    After a lot of searching, I did find a thread on another sight that included a similar rifle and a similar frustrating issue, ultimately Savage fixed it in stellar fashion, although the details were not disclosed, and I fully expect that they will either fix it or tell me I'm an idiot cause I did something wrong, but up until this point it's got me all buggered up. Had I only tried one base, one scope - I'd be sure that was the problem, but two different scopes off of known accurate rifles, and three different bases and I'm thinking there's an issue with the rifle.
    I did have UPS pick it up-so now we will see, but I'm confident it will be remedied-I'm already looking at a Vortex Viper for it, and being my first run in with the accutrigger, I thought it was pretty sweet, also I'm kind of interested in the Hog Hunter-neat brush gun!