Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NightForce competition 15-55x52

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cat 64

NightForce competition 15-55x52

I am looking at C457 or C492. Anyone has any experience with any of those? Mostly shooting bench rest and prone up to 1 mile.

Basic Member
    While im not familiar with the scopes you mention, i have a nxs 8x32 i use for long range shooting.
    Personaly im not interested in more power and could no doubt get by with less than i have.
    Conditions will often dictate power more so than our own preference. There is a bench rest model
    8x32x also which has less elevation adjustment than the nxs model. For the distance your considering
    this could be very important. Id be calling Euro Optic in Montoursville Pa and asking these questions of
    Jason Baney. He is a 1000 yd shooter as well as an expert on all the high end scopes. On a score of a possible 10
    they would be a 12 to deal with.

Basic Member
    I have one. It's a good scope, but you have to get use to the eye box. The 2014 model has 10 minutes per revolution on the turrets.

The 2014 also has the Zero Stop feature. The one I have is from last year, and does not have these features, and was the same price. GRRRRR......

I just looked at the Euro optics site. Wow. Great prices. Now I'm really aggravated 😡

Basic Member
    Not to run salt in the wounds but im pretty excited. I just ordered one for my 10ba. Should b here Wednesday!

Hey I'm happy for you ghostwriter! I think you'll enjoy it. And if you got it at the prices that EuroOptics was advertising, it is a comparatively good deal. Still up in the stratosphere price-wise for a scope, but much better than what I paid. I really wish these scopes would come down to a more realistic price- maybe in the $1000 range? Probably not gonna happen though.

Basic Member
    I struggled with the price. I hadn't ever paid more than 150 for a scope and thought about going with a bench rest model but figured id pony up and see what all the hub bub is about.

I understand completely. I still question my sanity about this buy. But hey, you only live once, right?

Basic Member
    That's what I figured too.

Ghostwriter, you get a chance to try yours out yet? What do you think?

Basic Member
    i finally did yesterday. had a couple of hiccups, it originally shipped with nightforce rings when i ordered the unimount, but finally got it out ot the range and stunning doesn't begin to describe it. The clarity is amazing. 308 size holes stick out like a sore thumb at 330 yards. The reticle is crisp. I'm still getting used to the eye relief but the reticle doesn't fade like im used to on cheaper scopes. I went with the ddr2 and the target dot is tiny on a three inch bull at that yardage. I went back and forth between that and the hash marks but i found i really liked how uncluttered the target dot style is in comparison with my mil dot scopes. Thats the main problem i have on my crossfire is the reticle size. its a great scope but the crosshairs obscure a half inch dot at a 100 yards.

Im pretty sure i could resolve 223 holes at that yardage as well.

At 55 times you gotta be steady, there is alot of jiggle, but it certainly reveals form issues (and i can always dial down)

I was shooting ladders so can't speak to tracking but i had 2 holes touching at that yardage. (in the interest of full disclosure i should mention it was strapped into a lead sled at the time.)

Good stuff. cant wait to get it out this weekend and shoot groups with my bipod now that i have my load dialed in. I havent chronied my load yet, so im going to be staying around 420 yards but once i get the fps dialed in ill stretch that to 800 and see how i do. Im pretty stoked.

That's great to hear gw. Sounds like you're pleased with it. I've yet to actually shoot with mine yet, as I'm saving it for my 6brx build (that may end up being the most prolonged project ever for me). I really hope to get to shoot with it soon though. You've got me stoked too.

Basic Member
    You are a better man than me. I would have had to pull out the first rifle i saw and "tested" it out until the brx was built.

My highest magnification scope I have is a, Sightron 36X on my 6mm BRX and I can stabilize it fine, I mounted a Sightron 10-50X60 on the same gun, and was never able to do anything past 40X, the guy who I was going to buy it from said it takes a little time, he never said how much time, I never found out the guy who was suppose to buy my 36X bailed, and the 50X did not want any partial trades. Oh well maybe some day and that is a $1000.00 scope, I can't even Imagine a $2300.00 scope, maybe If I shot only 223s and stop consorting with RUMs I could afford one.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    scope eye, i thought long and hard before i shucked out. The sightrons are good stuff. Its been everything i could do not to buy other guns in order to afford the scope. Ive managed to keep it to 308 and 223 for right now, but I really want a 338 lapua and a 6.5 creedmore. I shot it at 125 yards and there is a lot of jiggle off the harris bipod. Really going to try to work on my form this year and the magnification will certainly do that.

Mike Vegas
    Nightforce scopes are awesome! I used to have the 12-42x56mm and they worked well for the 1K yard benchrest. I used to have two other NF scopes too, but if you thought NF glass are nice, wait til you get one of those Bushnell HDMR, Zeis, Premier, US Optics etc. You'll cry once for a long time, and it would be the only time...

The great thing about buying your scope is, you get a two in one; rifle scope and a spotting scope! Cheers!!!

Cat 64
    All the guys at the range looking through the NF x55 glass said they will have a hard time going back to looking through their own (or any other for that matter). I know and I agree it is darn expensive, but I looked at this as a purchase I will treasure forever. It is an amazing piece of shooting equipment.One of the reasons I got it was because I discovered the beauty of Savage modular build...and thus, now that I have the stock-action-scope combination I love, by simply switching the barrel, I have a different gun. Intrinsically, I spent more on the scope but the cost is offset by “putting off” buying another rifle.

Basic Member
    Cat, have you gotten yours yet?

Cat 64
    Yes. I had it for couple of weeks now and it is an impressive piece of equipment. I don't want anything else now. Is yours in?

Basic Member
    In mounted and shot thru it once doing ladders. Amazing stuff. Which reticle did you end up going with?

Cat 64
    DDR. I thought I might use the reticle for some longer distance shooting later. Also the dot's imprint on the target is such a sweet thing. I want to eventually memorize the MOA length of the lines and use it for holdover shots. What distance are you shooting mostly. I can go to 1000 yds. I tried the scope once at that distance but the mirage was acute. It took me a while to adjust my sight to the eye relief at55 magnification. However I could see the target much better then ever before.

Basic Member
    i have two ranges i shoot at. my club has 25 50 100 and 300 though i rarely go below 300. on my property i have 75 125 420 and 800ish although i havent shot the 800 yet. ive mainly been getting my load dialed in so have been at the 420 and 300 a bit. nice thing about the club is covered stations and concrete benches. gonna try to stretch to the 800 this week. i went with the ddr as well and am glad i did. it is just so much easier without the hashes to focus.

Cat 64
    So, you are shooting a 308 with that scope correct? What platform configuration do you have? I built a Savage target rifle with an F class stock and 30" CBI barrel in a 6 mm BR. It shoots excellent. Only shot it for accuracy to 300 yards. My friend had a tape measure and informed me I managed a three shot group @ 0.69 at 300 yards. That was the best I ever did. Since I like the platform so much I bought another barrel to use it as a switch. It is a 6.5x47 Lapua which I learned would be more stable to 1K. I got a muzzle brake I need to put on that barrel as well. I tell you they way that rifle rides the rear bag is a dream. And the scope makes it even better.

Basic Member
    I have mine on a stock 10 ba in 308. I've never shot beyond the 420. I just go the target setup this spring but its been really cold and wet so havent had a chance to back up to the 800 yard line. I took the time to get every thing in though. Ive got 1000 match prepped lake city, with 8 lbs of varget and 1000 sierra 175s. my scope finally came in a couple weeks ago so i got it mounted and managed to find the two break in the rain in three days and got my ladder shot. on my ladder two of the bullets were touching so that puts it at about .3 inch or 1/10th moa, i was shooting at 330 yds. I am going to measure my chamber tomorrow and load up some 41.8 grains of the imr with the sierras and see how she shoots. I cant wait to see how she does. might take some time to shoot to the limits of the rifle on a regular basis but Im betting its under 1/2 moa. we will see.

Im really impressed with all savages but the lrp action based guns seem to be coming out the factory at 1/2 to 1/4 moa.

I like your setup, im thinking something along those lines myself once i get a little shooting done and setup the rest of my reloading bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast