Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Velocity isn't everything

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    My hunter has 7.5" and I find it quite diifficult to balance freehand--you're going to be holding it way out in front with locked elbows. My 6.5 " regular super blackhawk I find balances much better--though I'm not sure if you're talking weight balance or muzzle-flip balance--which in the case of my 44 I never try to stop anyway.

You may have to do some searching for mount solutions and I can't thinl of one off the top of my head--though I think the 657 one of the most popular of the 41's--though for unfathomable reasons 41's in general are not all that popular (even though the 41 was in a way Elmer Keith's "perfected" 44 mag) I don't really know S&W's since Rugers are my thing in hand guns.
    Ruger for me as well. I ported my Ruger Super Black Hawk and it help,d some on muzzle climb.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    own one as well and out of all of them, its my fav. 240gr lead SWC and some 2400 behind it makes for some pretty awesum hits.
    I like 245 to 265 keith style SWC's and have started experimenting with the jacketed flat points (hornady and nosler) and just bought some Barnes' all-copper xpb's which look pretty radical. I like 2400 too and have a lot of the "good stuff" for my mag twins--except for titegroup which I can't find anywhere. But I did recently score some H110 and oddly-named lil gun which I've heard great things about.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

bremereric
    My super blackhawk hunter does the same thing--I put a hogue presentation grip on but the exposed backstrap still pounds my palm hard. I saw somewhere that that you can put a shock absorber on the strap--something that's available for bows but I can't remember where.
    See the little pointed piece at the trigger guard. That is where it rubs me raw when I shoot those rounds loaded for black bear.

The majority of pistol shooting for me yrs past was infact nothing but 44 mag. Once you go big its hard to go back to small caliber. Nothen better than to send 240grs of democracy down range and knock the living s*** out of your objective at 100yds.
    All that changed when my Savage FCP 10 HS in 308 arrived.
    Reading this darn thread is giving me the 44 mag mojo again!
    Have you tried a 41 mag yet? You're in for a real treat if you haven't and you're a 44 mag die-hard. : )

I have essentially no experience with large handguns. I was guessing that the extra muzzle weight would help with flip, but I never considered the extra difficulty with aiming stability. That's good to know and makes me a little happier with my choice.
    Yes, I will google scope mounts for my revolver, and I wasn't trying to get you to do it for me lol. I'll probably wait on that as I've got too many unfinished projects going on at the moment. Honestly I'd probably be happy with just a good set of fiber optic sights to replace the hard to see black ones on it currently.
    As for hunting, I bring it with me every time I go to the woods, but have yet to run across any pigs. Someday I'll get lucky and stumble into some. So far all I've taken with it is this little fellow..

Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    See the little pointed piece at the trigger guard. That is where it rubs me raw when I shoot those rounds loaded for black bear.
    You mean like biting the knuckle of your index finger?

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    I have essentially no experience with large handguns. I was guessing that the extra muzzle weight would help with flip, but I never considered the extra difficulty with aiming stability. That's good to know and makes me a little happier with my choice.
    Yes, I will google scope mounts for my revolver, and I wasn't trying to get you to do it for me lol. I'll probably wait on that as I've got too many unfinished projects going on at the moment. Honestly I'd probably be happy with just a good set of fiber optic sights to replace the hard to see black ones on it currently.
    As for hunting, I bring it with me every time I go to the woods, but have yet to run across any pigs. Someday I'll get lucky and stumble into some. So far all I've taken with it is this little fellow..
    Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying in general that longer barrels are harder to balance--it all depends on the model and type of handgun. But there's a common perception that "more is better" (oh oh, here we go again!) in revolvers and I'm suggesting that's not necessarily true all the time.

PS--that's a fine 4-point snake : )

Truth be known, I get my velocity fix when I shoot my 454 Casull Raging Bull. Its the only big bore wheel gun I spit velocity out of. The intergrated muzzle break and the grip are well designed and work as they should. Sending a 200gr XTP going 1600fps.
    {John Wayne}

Owning the .41, and finding it so agreeable, has really sparked my interest in these hoglegs. I'm really curious about the .44, and i will probably eventually get one. Those Rugers you have look fantastic. I'm assuming the stainless one is the .44? Would you recommend that model, or is there something else you'd buy if you did it over again? Is it ported?

yes..its 44 mag. I had it ported. I like the model, but am not crazy with the pistl scope. Its held up though. always has held zero. Id defently go with wide view red dot if i did it all over again.
    {John Wayne}

bremereric
    You mean like biting the knuckle of your index finger?
    It gets my middle knuckle of my middle finger.

Is that a Ruger or a Taurus?

bremereric
    Is that a Ruger or a Taurus?
    Mine is a 6" Ruger Redhawk, Stainless and worth some money now.

It gets my middle knuckle of my middle finger.
    I had the same problem with my super blackhawk hunter with my stout loads--the problem is a combination of the closeness of the trigger guard to the grip frame and how I was holding the gun. You'll see on my wheel guns that area is basically filled by the hogue grip--which is also wider and keeps less of the thickness of my hand in front of the grip frame.

only good snake is a dead snake....dunno why but Im scared ****less from them
    {John Wayne}

bremereric
    Close up of the actual and some 240 grain black bear and deer loads.

only good snake is a dead snake....dunno why but Im scared ****less from them
    Me too eddie!

Close up of the actual and some 240 grain black bear and deer loads.

That's cool! I'm partial to stainless. No real reason why.

the Ranger
    don't you guys see the irony in pointing at magnum handguns as the reasoning for the "velocity isn't everything" arguement?

the very principle behind the development of "magnum" cartridges, and the "specials" for that matter, is that each one offers more VELOCITY than the cartridges that proceeded it.

by the way, I own a 44-40, .357mag and a .454casuall but I'm in the middle of building a .264win mag, so I guess you can say I'm playing both fields.

I think you meant preceeded--be that as it may how else can you explain the 44 mag has dropped just about every large game on the planet at velocities typically well under 2000 fps?

the Ranger
    if you mean, how can I explain why it has been done with the 44mag and not the 44Russian, that's easy, it has more velocity.

W.D.M.Bell killed 1,011 elephants, mostly with 6.5mm and 7mm, some with .303brit, all using bullets 1/2 or less the weight of those generally considered appropriate.

does a heavy bullet work to kill? yes. does a fast bullet work to kill? yes.
    weight alone does not kill. speed alone does not kill. it takes both a speed and a weight to have energy. mix and match as you see fit.

the Ranger
    I think you meant preceeded
    I though I did too, but for some reason spell check does not like "preceed".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123