Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velocity isn't everything

Quote Originally Posted by TC260 View Post
    Ah another handgun hunter in the making! Be careful, once you get used to just tossing the iron in a holster and heading out, hauling a rifle around is gonna feel weird. Then heaven forbid you get into Stikers, TC's, XP's....you're life is going to be ruined
    Most places I hunt rarely have a clear shooting lane of even 100 yds--and because I hunt very high pressure areas and like to go into deep and difficult areas (ignoring, of course, what I will do if I actually get something lol) the handgun made a lot of sense. Also reloading is FAR less expensive compared to rifle cartridges. I also like the funny looks I get at the range and the fact that nobody else ever shows up with 6 shooters and the semi-auto Glockheads are always busy spraying away at the 5 to 15 yd pits while I plug away at he 50. : )

Funny you mention the Striker--I looked around for em and couldn't find em--Ruger's website mentions them but no purchase details. Maybe the TC's have pretty much taken over the market.

Right now I've been looking long and hard at a Henry 45-70 gov lever action. It's kinda cool to feel like you're firing a piece of history.

Frank mentions OCD--I am a chronic case for sure. I just finished building a 6.8 spc carbine and am about to build a 264 lbc (more or less the same thing as a 6.5 Grendel). When the barrel on my Savage 111 6.5 284 flies south I'm gonna put a 260 on her. The projects never end nor does the reloading.
    Last edited by thermaler; 04-04-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Did I see someone mention Florida and silicone inflated women?
    Someone's gotta help the old rich dudes spend their money. You know, the low velocity old guys...

By the way Therm, nice pair of hand cannons ya got yo sef' there, son.
    Thank you kind sir--where can I get one of those kevlar reloader's blast shields? As a wise man once said; "I have my buddies test my reloads for me--if you don't hear a scream after the bang your good to go." (maybe Dean?) : )

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Well, if you're driving down main street on a Saturday night in your 67 corvette stingray--you wouldn't want the girls to know under the hood was a VW engine, would you? lol
    Not sure thats the engine they'ed be wondering about lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Not sure thats the engine they'ed be wondering about lol.
    They make fuel additives for that.

Basic Member
    They make fuel additives for that.
    Does that work for small engines also? lol

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Does that work for small engines also? lol
    Yes.
    You just have to add a lot more.

You didn't hear that from me...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Yes.
    You just have to add a lot more.

You didn't hear that from me...
    Remember, if your engine continues to idle for 4 hours or more after you turn off the ignition--call your mechanic immediately.

Basic Member
    O no, just start your engine up again! Get you money's worth ! :-))

Basic Member
    Remember, if your engine continues to idle for 4 hours or more after you turn off the ignition--call your mechanic immediately.
    Now THAT was pretty funny. Reminds me of the commercial. If my motor idles for 4 hrs or longer I sure as hell won't be calling no doctor.
    Maybe a few old girlfriends and a couple ex-wives, but no doc.

Team Savage
    anybody know of any female mechanics?

^ potential Thread of the Year winner here ;-)

Velocity isn't everything

I hope for yall's sake that your fuel additives work better than that guy on the TV commercial (who's reached the age where he knows how to get things done) who gets his 4X4 pickup stuck, in 2wd, in a water hole about 4 inches deep. Then instead of putting it in 4wd, he unloads the horses from his trailer and uses them to pull the truck out!?!? (Of course, he was driving an old Dodge, so it could very well be that the 4wd no longer works.) I think that guy just didn't wanna get home real soon. Maybe his fuel additive hadn't made it to the injector yet. Or he just really doesn't like his female mechanic.
    Btw, I'm a proud Dodge owner, so no hate intended

It's been fun--excuse me while I smoke a cigarette.

Basic Member
    Well, this thread certainly has wandered a wee bit.
    Or are we still discussing velocity?

I confuse easily.

bremereric
    Back on subject I shoot a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum. Never tried hunting with it but I get good grouping and about 6 inches of flame at the end of the barrel when I shoot it. Fifty rounds and the Pachmayr grip wears a hole in my hand.

Velocity isn't everything

Come back thermaler!!
    I recently bought my first centerfire wheel gun, and I love shooting it. It's an older S&W model 657 that I bought from a friend. It's a .41 Mag, and someday I'd like to go after a hog with it. But for now I've found a light load that shoots well in my gun and is actually pleasant to shoot. My wife even is able to shoot it well. It's a 170 gr. JHC Sierra over 14.5 gr of Blue Dot. Blue Dot is a very fast burning powder for this caliber, thus the light charge. There's lots of room left in the case, so you really have to be careful when charging cases so as not to double charge or over charge.
    You are correct that it's kinda refreshing to shoot without a benchrest and it's definitely a challenge.
    Edit: add that I dont use a magnum primer with this load. I use a Federal LP 150.
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 04-04-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Come back thermaler!!
    I recently bought my first centerfire wheel gun, and I love shooting it. It's an older S&W model 657 that I bought from a friend. It's a .41 Mag, and someday I'd like to go after a hog with it. But for now I've found a light load that shoots well in my gun and is actually pleasant to shoot. My wife even is able to shoot it well. It's a 170 gr. JHC Sierra over 14.5 gr of Blue Dot. Blue Dot is a very fast burning powder for this caliber, thus the light charge. There's lots of room left in the case, so you really have to be careful when charging cases so as not to double charge or over charge.
    You are correct that it's kinda refreshing to shoot without a benchrest and it's definitely a challenge.
    That's a fabulous 41 mag and I would love to get one but haven't been able to find one available anywhere. I have the 6.5" (your's is too, right, or is it 4.5?) ruger super blackhawk--so I can run my loads up and down from "*****cat" loads up to atomic bombs which are almost the same as 44 mag rounds. To be honest--I think the 41 mag is the best all-around revolver caliber there is in terms of versatility/usability--I shoot it far more often now than my 44 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    Back on subject I shoot a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum. Never tried hunting with it but I get good grouping and about 6 inches of flame at the end of the barrel when I shoot it. Fifty rounds and the Pachmayr grip wears a hole in my hand.

My super blackhawk hunter does the same thing--I put a hogue presentation grip on but the exposed backstrap still pounds my palm hard. I saw somewhere that that you can put a shock absorber on the strap--something that's available for bows but I can't remember where.

Thanks therm. Mine's the 6" model. I think I'd have preferred a longer barrel- maybe 8"? And the sights on mine leave a lot to be desired. They may get replaced at some point. Also it's not tapped for a scope. I'd love to put a red dot sight on it, but I guess that's out. On the plus side, the trigger is fantastic in single action mode. And it's a really big and heavy firearm, which makes it easy to control. I've always had an interest in the .41 mag., and I think I got a pretty good deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks therm. Mine's the 6" model. I think I'd have preferred a longer barrel- maybe 8"? And the sights on mine leave a lot to be desired. They may get replaced at some point. Also it's not tapped for a scope. I'd love to put a red dot sight on it, but I guess that's out. On the plus side, the trigger is fantastic in single action mode. And it's a really big and heavy firearm, which makes it easy to control. I've always had an interest in the .41 mag., and I think I got a pretty good deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up.
    I'm not an expert--but I wouldn't sweat the extra inches (see fuel additive above : ) ) cause the extra velocity is almost irrelevant. I've heard your very gun is a fine hunter and the general rule of thumb is hunt the distance that you can consistently empty the entire cylinder into an 8" dinner plate. There are a lot of aftermarket revolver scope mount makers--are you sure there is nothing for your gun?

That's funny! I had the fuel additive joke up my sleeve but you beat me to it! Lol. The extra barrel length would be more for better balance than anything. I haven't researched the aftermarket scope mount thing. If you know of any let me know please. PM me if you don't want to further pollute this already "wandering" thread lol.

Most places I hunt rarely have a clear shooting lane of even 100 yds--and because I hunt very high pressure areas and like to go into deep and difficult areas (ignoring, of course, what I will do if I actually get something lol) the handgun made a lot of sense. Also reloading is FAR less expensive compared to rifle cartridges. I also like the funny looks I get at the range and the fact that nobody else ever shows up with 6 shooters and the semi-auto Glockheads are always busy spraying away at the 5 to 15 yd pits while I plug away at he 50. : )

Funny you mention the Striker--I looked around for em and couldn't find em--Ruger's website mentions them but no purchase details. Maybe the TC's have pretty much taken over the market.

Right now I've been looking long and hard at a Henry 45-70 gov lever action. It's kinda cool to feel like you're firing a piece of history.

Frank mentions OCD--I am a chronic case for sure. I just finished building a 6.8 spc carbine and am about to build a 264 lbc (more or less the same thing as a 6.5 Grendel). When the barrel on my Savage 111 6.5 284 flies south I'm gonna put a 260 on her. The projects never end nor does the reloading.
    friend of mine owns a wheel gun in 45-70.........needless to say, he doesnt shoot it much. once youve given it a go, you realize why.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post

own one as well and out of all of them, its my fav. 240gr lead SWC and some 2400 behind it makes for some pretty awesum hits.
    {John Wayne}

That's funny! I had the fuel additive joke up my sleeve but you beat me to it! Lol. The extra barrel length would be more for better balance than anything. I haven't researched the aftermarket scope mount thing. If you know of any let me know please. PM me if you don't want to further pollute this already "wandering" thread lol.
    My hunter has 7.5" and I find it quite diifficult to balance freehand--you're going to be holding it way out in front with locked elbows. My 6.5 " regular super blackhawk I find balances much better--though I'm not sure if you're talking weight balance or muzzle-flip balance--which in the case of my 44 I never try to stop anyway.

You may have to do some searching for mount solutions and I can't thinl of one off the top of my head--though I think the 657 one of the most popular of the 41's--though for unfathomable reasons 41's in general are not all that popular (even though the 41 was in a way Elmer Keith's "perfected" 44 mag) I don't really know S&W's since Rugers are my thing in hand guns.

The majority of pistol shooting for me yrs past was infact nothing but 44 mag. Once you go big its hard to go back to small caliber. Nothen better than to send 240grs of democracy down range and knock the living s*** out of your objective at 100yds.
    All that changed when my Savage FCP 10 HS in 308 arrived.
    Reading this darn thread is giving me the 44 mag mojo again!
    {John Wayne}

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast