Thread: egw base + Vortex Viper 30 what rings

egw base + Vortex Viper 30 what rings

I have a EGW 1 piece base on a short action model 12. Im looking at getting a Vortex Viper 30mm Tube 6.5-20 x 44mm scope. I want to go with the Burris 30 mm signature Zee weaver style rings. I was wondering if any one has tried this combo, and would the med height work. Here is links to what I am considering. I think they will fit but I am not positive.

Rings: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=719934

Scope: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=928807

I need to have room for a set up the flip up covers too.

Thanks for your guys help.....

pa hog

Re: egw base + Vortex Viper 30 what rings

Got the same set-up use Medium Burris Signature Zee rings and they are just fine. I can post a pic if you want to see them.

A pic would be great. How do you like the scope?

yep, the mediums have more than enough room for the 44mm. I use mediums also with my 50mm Viper.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

pa hog

The scopes great,I have no complaints other than the "lift to reset" turrents they can be accidently lifted while clicking scope. If your carefull they are fine. Post pics in a bit

TOO Builder

Not to highjack but I just received a 44mm Viper today. I use one pc. bases and Burris Sig. ZEE rings on my other setups and agree it would be fine with the 44mm objective however I was thinking I would like to get mine set lower if possible. Any suggestions for a ring/base combination to acheive this?

pa hog

Ya, I'd like mine lower as well, A Warne Tactical 0moa rail with Medium Burris Signature Zee's will lower it nicely. I've used them in the past with great results. But for the money the EGW are tops.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/pahog/001-1.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/pahog/002-2.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/pahog/003-2.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/pahog/004-1.jpg[/img]

Yeah a little lower would be perfect. Nice looking rifle. What bolt handle is that? SSS tactical?

TOO Builder

I have Farrell one piece on all my rifles, do you think the Warne's will set the scope lower. Mine look very similar to the height of yours in the pictures.

pa hog

My gun has a EGW on it, the Warnes are lower, just abit higher or the the same height as standard Weaver base.

TOO Builder

Ahh, that might work nice for this application. I suppose that Warne is a spendy bugger though? Do they make them for the target actions?

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=1592

Looks like about 80 - 100 depending if you want 20 moa bases.

If you get to low of one piece base might start to be a pain to load a internal mag.

pa hog

PM sent to TOO builder

EGW1

Hi All,

Thank you for the consistant kind words about our company, We are signing up to be sponsors here on this site.

We introduced out HD rails not long ago. Machined out of solid 7075 alunimum, Hard anodized. Torx screws, full width cross slots and pertaining to this post .350 from the top of the receiver to the top of the rail. I believe about .050 lower than our short action mount. The 7075 has a higher tensile strenght so we can make the rail a Smig lower with no worries.

hope this helps

EGW
    geo

pa hog

Sweeet!! Glad you guys are on board!!! There ya go guy's all your problems solved!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by EGW1
    Hi All,

Thank you for the consistant kind words about our company, We are signing up to be sponsors here on this site.

We introduced out HD rails not long ago. Machined out of solid 7075 alunimum, Hard anodized. Torx screws, full width cross slots and pertaining to this post .350 from the top of the receiver to the top of the rail. I believe about .050 lower than our short action mount. The 7075 has a higher tensile strenght so we can make the rail a Smig lower with no worries.

hope this helps

EGW
    geo
    Sweet. Glad to have you as a sponsore here. Alot of your bases floating around here, both at my house and around this site. :D I really like the bases.
    Since you went with torx screws on the new base are you gonna switch to those on the older model as well? I think for me that would be the only thing I would want different, but only because I feel they are harder to strip out. And all my other bases and Burris rings also take a torx screw. Just wonderin.

Thanks for joining up, and for making a great product.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Hylander

Do the one piece mounts make it a pain to load from the top ?

TOO Builder

I don't feel they do. I have a couple model 12 actions, one a single shot and another a repeater with the Farrell base. No feed issues with them or the target actions.

EGW1

See what I mean about a warm reception!! :) Thank you.

We made over 1/4 million 6-48 x 1/4 and 60,000 6-48 x 3/8 screws for various mounts we produce.
    They are of course made in Connetcut and heat treated local to us.

Ill talk to my peeps about the idea. what we are going to do in the intrum is offer a set of torx screws and
    a wrench (which costs 1.09 each) for 5.00 as an option on our site. We run a pretty tight ship and the allen wrench costs 1.00 less. Not a problem at the retail level but when you get to Distrubitor price 1.00 makes a difference. The screw cost difference at that quantity is not the issue. Anyone have a good source for 10k torx wrenches :) at a better price.

Warmest Regards
    geo

EGW
    Quakertown Pa.

Cool. Thanks for the response, and also for being willing to listen to ideas from us.
    ~Clint Eastwood

EGW1

We would be fools not to listen to the forums. We harvest ideas from them all the time.
    It also helps us show our peeps how important it is to do a great job. Anyone can be on
    the phone and answer a question and 10 minutes later it is on the Net for all to read.
    Makes it important that it is the right answer. :)

Thank you for the work!
    geo

www.egwguns.com

EGW1

Hi All,

Just machined the first Savage EDGE mount today.
    No ejection port needed as there is a bridge down the middle.

For Height the front from the top of the receiver to the top of the top rail is .360 high.

Rail is almost 7 1/2 inches long, you get lots O choices where you mount your scope on this set up.

0 and 20 moa

With screws and wrench

Tumbled, blasted and anodized, may be next friday? 4/23/10

For you Edgy people out there. The savage photo with the 3x9 scope show about 1/2 inch adjustability for scope placment front and back.

geo

www.egw-guns.com