Thread: Which barrel for turkey?

Basic Member

Which barrel for turkey?

I am not a turkey hunter. (yet)

Last year I loaned a kid my BPS with a "bird" barrel, front bead and turkey choke tube, he got a nice tom with it.

I dug it out of the safe for him again this year, and realized I have a 20.5" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights that will also accept the turkey tube.

Which would you recommend he use?

mazda3gun
    Both are smooth bore and take the same choke? Then, whichever sights are preferred would be my choice. Theoretically, the longer the barrel(with a shotgun) and tighter the choke, the tighter the shot pattern over a greater distance. -I used to shoot A LOT of skeet/trap

Basic Member
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So, in this case, whatever you gain with one you lose to the other.

Thanks.

mazda3gun
    Exactly! If the choke fits both, but one barrel is shorter and has the sights you want, you lose a little range. But, the longer barrel which has more range, only has a bead...

That's a conundrum!!!

You're better off with turkey, if possible, to get them inside of 30yds anyway. That way you get ample killage on the head/neck of the tasty bird no matter what choke/barrel is used. Or you could use a .270, knew a guy that did that one time, it exploded...

COplains
    Of my shotguns, I've found the Moss 500 with 28" barrel, full choke and loads I make myself is as good as I've ever been around. Buddies I hunt with have a number of more expensive scatter guns but none have out shot my custom Moss. I use a vent rail mounted light bar behind the front sight, Winchester and others make them, and find they do a fine job. I've taken turkey just short of 50 yds and I'm sure it could get a bit further out. I use a modified Pheasent load I also load, either 2 3/4 or 3", 1 3/8 oz with #4 shot. Works quite well. My Browning Gold doesn't match it.

I prefer a shorter barrel if available. Much easier to use in tight quarters,much less mass to be seen moving, easier to carry
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Well, like I said, I don't turkey hunt, but I can see all your points. There are advantages to each, and just as I suspected, I could easily justify having a whole set of turkey guns, each setup a little differently depending on my mood and conditions... uh, oh...

Basic Member
    foxx your absolutely right about having different setups I have several different turkey guns which one I take depends on where I hunting or how I want to hunt