Thread: Criterion Barrels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I'll bet you are using your "old barrel nut"?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
    I'll bet you are using your "old barrel nut"?
    It had nothing to do with the barrel nut. The barrel nut is on the barrel from Criterion and it was screwed all the way out. I am talking about the threads sticking about 2/3's of the way into the action. It wasn't even screwed all the way in when it stuck. And the barrel nut(the new one) never got near the action. I didn't try to headspace it I just wanted to screw it in and see how the barrel was gonna fit into the barrel channel on my HS Precision stock.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

davbrant
    Ditto on Criterion and Northland. 20 practical, varmint contour. 32gr VMax, VVn133. .2-.3" when I do right.

Guys I've got five of the CBI barrels four for my Savages' and one on my AR and they all are great. Only caliber I am struggling with is 22 250 1-9 shooting 53 gr. Vmax. Jim is a good guy to deal with. Only other issue has been the wait time over the past year from CBI.
    Good shooting.

kimbajmann

Threads

I would ask what action are you using

Ihad that happen on a sav 14 action that I got in 308

The factory at sav seems to gall some the thread on some from time to time

I had a real hard time geting the barrel off and upon looking at it, it seemed to have boogerd threads. I did manage to get The replacement barrel on, but it was a hard screw

I am sure it was a defect caused by savage at the factory- am equally sure yours us same. Never seen an after market missthreaded

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    It had nothing to do with the barrel nut. The barrel nut is on the barrel from Criterion and it was screwed all the way out. I am talking about the threads sticking about 2/3's of the way into the action. It wasn't even screwed all the way in when it stuck. And the barrel nut(the new one) never got near the action. I didn't try to headspace it I just wanted to screw it in and see how the barrel was gonna fit into the barrel channel on my HS Precision stock.

kimbajmann
    Those are the actions you either send to savage to fix or scew the original back on and sell off as they will do the same to every barrel ya stick on them. The vast majority of the actions are fine but a few suffer from operator error on the install at the factory.