Thread: Early Savage 110 bolt

Basic Member

Early Savage 110 bolt

I just joined after being referred here while looking for a first generation short action 243 bolt. I looked around and thought I might step in and see how it goes. My introduction details my history with Savages, so I'll just pony up that I'd like to find a bolt for a semi-naked 243 I recently purchased. I have much (basically everything) to learn about the bolt guns, my main interest being 99's. I found a rifle with decent blue, terrible wood, and no bolt in a 243. I have the correct new old wood, but am short a bolt. I have another 243 in pristine shape for a pattern of the correct bolt. So that's my story, and look forward to whatever I may contribute and learn. With the internet, it's a good day to be a Savage crank!!
    Last edited by Fireball; 03-19-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Basic Member
    Start here. You should be able to find what you're looking for.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...dFox-33479.htm

Basic Member
    Oh amigo, if only...

Basic Member
    I've found parts for my 53 JC Higgins there so I know there will be what you need there

Basic Member

No luck

Not feeling it. This will probably be a long term search.

Basic Member
    If it's a pre- 1966 short action, your'e not going to have much luck. What is the serial #?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Ser. # 50,xxx. I have another identical rifle, can I try the bolt w/o a gunsmith checking it out first?

Basic Member
    If the bolt works, it works. The only issue I can think of is having the barrel checked for correct headspace against the new bolt. He/you may have to turn the barrel into or away from the bolt face. I doubt is is an issue, but I would still want it checked.

Basic Member
    That's a pre-'66 bolt. The bolt heads were different and have been obsolete for many decades. Not only is the bolt head different, so is the bolt body. The crosspin hole is 90 degrees off from current production, not to mention a different length. Chances of finding one is pretty slim. I think your only hope is have a bolt made using current parts, but it will also have to have the barrel tennon trimmed back and re head spaced. The standing ejector will have to be removed for the bolt to work.
    I guess your "bargain" may have more than you bargained for....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    There's always cause for hope. I'm an optimist. Optimistic people succeed more frequently than pessimists. Pessimists have a better grasp on reality however.

Basic Member
    I am afraid I am a realist. Causes a lot of undo stress for me and a lot of people around me. :)

As for this case, seems to me if you do, indeed, have the identical rifle there, you sould be able to use the same bolt. Just don't ecpect to carry both in the field at the same time!

Basic Member
    Ironically, I do have two identical 243's. The bolt from one goes in the the receiver for the second perfectly. Ser. 11,xxx and 50,xxx. I had considered ceracoating one for varmint use and leaving the pristine one alone, which would leave me with a mismatched bolt on one or the other, but there are worse things. Would still prefer to locate a bolt of course.

Basic Member
    Here's a left hand one for a long action from this era for sale. There must be one out there for me...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=403489696