Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavy barrel bmag thread

rsh4364

Makes me want to sell my unfired B-Mag and order HB model!!

Basic Member
    My lgs just two hb ss in today. Do I go for it or wait for more reviews? Hmmm

Sniper Steve
    Go for it why wait.....glad I pulled the trigger!
    Last edited by Sniper Steve; 03-26-2014 at 08:54 PM.

rsh4364
    Wish I knew if my Boyds stock would fit the HB model,I know I can open stock to fit barrel but not sure if they changed anything else? Local place has 2 HBs in stock right now,And I want one bad! Might be pulling the trigger this weekend..

Basic Member
    pulled the trigger on one myself, will be here Friday. got lucky on GB and got it for $340 +$15 freight
    and I haven't even really pulled the trigger on my sporter b-mag yet.
    I will try and see how the Boyds stock I have is close to fitting the HB b-mag if it shows up. over the weekend.

Sniper Steve
    Let us know about the Boyds fitment

Basic Member
    I just scored a HB SS Bmag, won it on gun broker from a local seller. The price was right to take the plunge.....
    Should have it tomorrow afternoon. Weather permitting I will shoot it and report back.

Sniper Steve
    Nice !

n4ue
    Hi. I picked my my SS Bmag today. My lgs owner is also a gunsmith. When he showed me the rifle, the first thing I did was check the flex in the fore end. It's about the same as the original. The owner looked at me and quipped:
    "well Ron, at least the bbl is free floated"....ha ha
    I put a spare scope on it and if it doesn't rain too much tomorrow, gonna shoot it. It looks pretty good. The store got a shipment of .22 lr while I was there and the store actually had .22 Mag...... I 'hoarded' one whole box of 50.... ha ha

ron

rona
    I got my Prairie Hunter style stock for my B-Mag yesterday. I also got a SS B Mag the day before. There isn't room for the "Bull Barrel" in the stock but if you enlarge the opening you can make it fit. When you have both plastic stocks off you can see where the difference is and what you need to do. The smaller barrel B Mag fit perfect and no problems with the safe or magazine.

Basic Member
    Here's mine fitted to my boyd's RH stock.

Basic Member
    Looks good!!! Hope she's a shooter

Basic Member
    Is there any significant difference in rigidity between the two Savage (B mag and B mag ss) tupperware stocks?

Crockett
    Looks great...what did you use to sand out the barrel channel?

Basic Member
    Haven't had time to mess with it yet but first noticed the SS b-mag bolt works better than the sporter bolt. also the Tupperware stock on my SS B-mag is warped more than the first one was. you would have thought Savage would have fixed this by now. Will definetly have a Boyds stock on it in the near future.

Basic Member
    I got a chance to shoot my new SS/HB today at 50 yds. After a quick site-in the results were very good.
    25 grain

20 grain, the flyer was my fault it was starting to rain and I was rushing the shots.

rsh4364
    Seems it shoots as good as it looks gsperaz,I think Im gonna have to get one.Thanks.

Basic Member
    Nice lil groups

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    Seems it shoots as good as it looks gsperaz,I think Im gonna have to get one.Thanks.
    I would wait until I see how the SS shoots at 100 yards before buying one

Basic Member
    No Willy, just the barrel channel is cut wider for the HB barrel. No improvements.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Looks great...what did you use to sand out the barrel channel?
    I just used a deep well socket about the same size as the barrel.

Basic Member
    Here is my question, can one purchase the heavy barrel for the B-Mag separately from any place?? I already have the older B-Mag rifle and a Boyd forest camo thumb hole stock. I to jumped on the B-Mag to soon.

Basic Member
    I doubt savage will sell just a barrel due to liability issues, there is also the head spacing issue. You maybe able to send it to savage for them to install.
    I am have some difficulty getting a new trigger assy for my original Bmag due to the liability, and that is a drop in part.

n4ue
    First trip to the range.......

A quick overview and then the results. Did you ever read a magazine review of a new gun and the writer mentions that he was shooting in high winds? I got the new SS bmag Friday. Sat was a total rainout, so today I got a chance to fire it. There was a stiff breeze, coming directly from my back, so I didn't even think about shooting groups. I also have the original bmag, which I was VERY disappointed with. I cleaned the bbl and gave it a light coating of HBN/alcohol.
    As Dave would say, the "buzzard's beak" on the new bolt is smaller. Also, (although I have not determined the reason, yet) there is some difference in the bolts. I have the Glades Armory bolt on the other rifle and wanted to see how it fit on the new gun. The original bmag rifle's bolt won't fit in completely on the SS model. If I took them apart, the reason might be obvious, but I was just curious....
    I have a new scope coming tomorrow, so I took a couple of spares to the range after getting them fitted with the correct rings.
    First up was a NcStar 3-12X56. If you look up "POS" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of this scope. I only bought it because it was silver. Trying to zero it at 50 yards was nearly impossible since I could JUST BARELY see the holes in the 'shoot n see' target. I managed to get it 'close enough' and pulled it.
    Next was an older Tasco Mag IV 50. It's 6.5-20X50mm. I've rotated this scope through a bunch of rifles and it works very well. Remember these are 'spares'. It just clears the bbl, just the way I like it.

Results: It was easy to get on target at 50 yards, and with the AO, it was very easy to see the holes...... I switched to a new target and I am in LOVE! As soon as I can. I post the pix of the target. It is .200" ctc for 5 shots. I just couldn't believe it!
    I had one misfire. It worked on the 2nd try. The firing pin strike looks pretty light, but maybe if will get better with use. Just like the original rifle, you have to concentrate when closing the bolt. It will hit the stock if the bolt is not all the way forward, when you try to close it.

Bottom line........... this rifle can shoot!

ron

n4ue
    Forgotten details......

I forget to mention the following:
    The rifle feels very muzzle heavy due to the light stock and heavy bbl.
    I measured the trigger with a very accurate Hunter spring guage. It broke consistently at 2.5 lbs. I left it as is.
    I only shot the 25 gr loads. I have weighed and sorted rounds before, but this was just 'out of the box'.
    I fired the rifle off of a small front rest and rear sandbag. Normally I use just a bipod and rear sandbag.

I'm very excited about this rifle and it has renewed my faith in Savage! I am putting a bipod on it this week.

ron

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast