Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis Tactical Bolt Handle

cranebird

Quote Originally Posted by Forever draggin View Post
    Nope. Look again. M16 doesn't have primary extraction. It doesn't start rearward movement until it's unlocked. Google is your friend
    Google M16 Mauser and get back to me on that. It was 7x57 caliber. Are you thinking of the gas operated M16 ?

Basic Member
    The last time I checked, the M16 didn't have a bolt handle. It doesn't use levers and cams for primary extraction, it uses gas pressure...by design. There are many systems for primary extraction, some better than others. I can guarantee that all hi-power rifles have some sort of primary extraction, whatever the system may be.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

cranebird
    This is a picture of the M16 Mauser I was talking about. Lol. Excuse me for being sarcastic and yes I was being sarcastic and yes I did at one time own a M16 Mauser. The one I had wasn't very accurate, although the bore looked to be in very good condition.

You do realize some rifles don't have primary extraction..
    Is that a joke? Any of you ever heard of the m16? That's right, no primary extraction. There are others
    No sir, M16 does not have primary extraction.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Lmao.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Forever draggin
    M16 does not have primary extraction. U all can think what u wish, but if u pay attention the bolt does not rotate until after unlocked nuff said

Basic Member
    Well, did you know that "old McDonald" was a bad speller???
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Well, did you know that "old McDonald" was a bad speller???
    Cow

C-O-W-E-I-E-I-O

Dag-Nab-It.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

the Ranger
    M16 does not have primary extraction. U all can think what u wish, but if u pay attention the bolt does not rotate until after unlocked nuff said
    look at a picture of said Mauser and you will see that at the top rear of the receiver is a ramp machined in, (the back of the receiver is not flat, it has an angel on it) as you lift the bolt handle the root of the bolt contacts that ramp and causes said "primary extraction".

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    look at a picture of said Mauser and you will see that at the top rear of the receiver is a ramp machined in, (the back of the receiver is not flat, it has an angel on it) as you lift the bolt handle the root of the bolt contacts that ramp and causes said "primary extraction".
    I'm sorry Ranger,That was my bad for submitting the bolt action M16 Mauser rifle into the equation. Paul and Wilhelm Mauser knew that the bolt action rifle needed an primary extractor to work properly when they began building rifles way back in 1891 but Forever draggin is not comparing bolt action rifles to bolt action rifles. He is trying to compare a gas operated semi auto for the solution as to why his Savage Axis does not need a primary extractor that it was originally designed with. I'm sure there are people already altering the original Axis bolt handle by cutting, drilling, tapping and turning a longer handle on a lathe to install on the original Axis bolt handle frame as a solution for a properly working Axis bolt primary extraction system. I know this because I found it on the internet while searching last night and eventually I will send my bolt handle in to have it done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    …… I'm sure there are people already altering the original Axis bolt handle by cutting, drilling, tapping and turning a longer handle on a lathe to install on the original Axis bolt handle frame as a solution for a properly working Axis bolt primary extraction system. I know this because I found it on the internet while searching last night and eventually I will send my bolt handle in to have it done.
    Yep, it's actually fairly easy. I used a Dremel and file to cut and shape, and then a die to thread it. Others have used a grinder. There are also smiths that will do it.

Check it out: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...quot-bolt-knob

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Yep, it's actually fairly easy. I used a Dremel and file to cut and shape, and then a die to thread it. Others have used a grinder. There are also smiths that will do it.

Check it out: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...quot-bolt-knob
    I just ordered a extra Axis bolt handle so I'll be messing this one up or maybe it will come out alright.I wish I had the part number for the stainless handle but couldn't find it. It was $11 for the matte black axis handle, part #107922. I am fortunate to have the equipment available at work to mess around with it. I haven't messed with knurling stuff on the lathe which is what I'm wanting for the new handle conversion.

Basic Member
    Part number for the right hand stainless steel Axis handle is 108556. They are $14.

Good luck!

cranebird
    Well I turned down a handle on my lunch break today. It came out half way decent but I was running out of time since I only have 1/2 hr for lunch so to finish it today,I tig welded a 1/4-20 set screw on it where I cut the football knob off and being quick and easy, it won't win a beauty contest or anything. I really like the function of cycling the bolt now, quite a bit nicer than the short handle. I was running the lasers today so I didn't have time to really build it right after messing around with turning the handle down, it ate into more time than I wanted to spend but the Knurling came out good. Usually I know just enough to get myself in a mess but overall it was a good 1/2 hr spent.

If I find I quit liking it ,I can rebuild it, shorten it or build something entirely different.This summer I'll take it back in and powdercoat it matte black.
    Last edited by cranebird; 03-17-2014 at 06:26 PM.

15. 03-17-2014, 09:17 PM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Non-Sponsor Promotion/Solicitation

cranebird
    Well I revamped the handle a bit.
    Last edited by cranebird; 03-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Go to snipers hide and search $5 bolt handle

It cycles smoothly now

J.B. WELD!!!!

lotusboyrulz
    Do you like that scope? I have a 4-16 version and it does really good for a $70 scope

Itsricmo
    I hope my centerpoint holds up against 30-06 recoil :) haha

anyhow, I Never thought about JB weld for a "tactical" bolt handle... haha maybe something to consider here!

Pics of mine coming soon. JB Stik Weld. Duracoated matte black. Supposed to get it back today.

I made mine out of AcraGlas, and they're both still going strong.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    Well I revamped the handle a bit.
    That looks better.

Pretty cool, actually.

I might play around with JB weld and an old, regular 110 bolt handle. What else am I going to do with it? :)

cranebird
    It came out pretty well for my not having run a lathe in decades... It would be near perfect if it were a little shorter yet but it works well enough that I haven't the desire to shorten it or turn down an improved version yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusboyrulz View Post
    Do you like that scope? I have a 4-16 version and it does really good for a $70 scope
    Yeah, not bad at all. I had too get something asap for deer season that 52mm was just to big to swing around :sly:

Team Savage
    If you want to see a nice axis w/ a custom bolthandle mine is on Project savage . com
    the one sitting on a old fence post, just guessing may be one of the first restocked axis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast