Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McGowen barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimini View Post
    I did contact them and they offered to polish the barrel and pay the shipping both ways, but with all the problems with the original shipping I decided to do it myself. A couple of hours with automotive polishing compound and it's starting to look pretty good. A couple of more and it will look like a quality barrel.
    FYI, I personally contacted Tokimini and offered to help him anyway I could. I don't know what else I can do at this point. The barrels should be a tac driver. The biggest issue is the barrel was shipped to his billing address instead of his shipping address. We try to make every situation right if there is an issue.

Thanks, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Ovrmydeadbdy
    I know this s my first post here, but I have been waiting for my Mcgowen barrel for near 8 weeks now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    FYI, I personally contacted Tokimini and offered to help him anyway I could. I don't know what else I can do at this point. The barrels should be a tac driver. The biggest issue is the barrel was shipped to his billing address instead of his shipping address. We try to make every situation right if there is an issue.

Thanks, Dennis
    I am glad Dennis posted his explanation, but I never doubted there was a reasonable explanation and a more than fair effort to make the customer happy.

IMHO, saying something was sent to the wrong address is not a fair representation of the facts if, in fact, it was actually sent to the billing address rather than shipping address. Saying "it was sent to the wrong address" makes me think it went to the neighbor's or a complete stranger, pretty irresponsible. On the other hand, saying "it was sent to my billing address rather than my shipping address" sounds like an easy, perfectly understandable mistake. The kind that busy, highly productive people make everyday. I'm a financial planner, and in my line of work, Dennis, I can't afford unreasonable customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    I know this s my first post here, but I have been waiting for my Mcgowen barrel for near 8 weeks now.
    I sent you a PM, I will be waiting to hear from you.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I am glad Dennis posted his explanation, but I never doubted there was a reasonable explanation and a more than fair effort to make the customer happy.

IMHO, saying something was sent to the wrong address is not a fair representation of the facts if, in fact, it was actually sent to the billing address rather than shipping address. Saying "it was sent to the wrong address" makes me think it went to the neighbor's or a complete stranger, pretty irresponsible. On the other hand, saying "it was sent to my billing address rather than my shipping address" sounds like an easy, perfectly understandable mistake. The kind that busy, highly productive people make everyday. I'm a financial planner, and in my line of work, Dennis, I can't afford unreasonable customers.
    There was a specific reason I wanted it sent to a separate shipping address. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect it to be shipped there. It was not sent to the address I specified, so it went to the wrong address. You seem to be implying that since it was sent to the billing address they got it kind of right. I highly doubt any of your customers would be pleased if you got their finances kind of right.

Basic Member
    Im sorry but I dont see any issue here. McGowen had CONTACTED you to make it right, I dont think that there is better customer service than that. You chose not to take them up on it.... stop complaining.
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    Of course they would be unhappy about something like that. But I would be more unhappy with them for publicly complaining about a simple mistake that was corrected without harm especially if the story was told in a malicious way. Not necessary. Those kind of customers I cannot afford to work with and stake my reputation with.

the Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokimini View Post
    There was a specific reason I wanted it sent to a separate shipping address. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect it to be shipped there. It was not sent to the address I specified, so it went to the wrong address. You seem to be implying that since it was sent to the billing address they got it kind of right. I highly doubt any of your customers would be pleased if you got their finances kind of right.
    by leaving out certain details you effectively embellished the story to make it sound MUCH worse than it really was. your situation amounts to a minor annoyance, I have had a package go to a complete stranger's house thanks to UPS, and I can tell you that tracking it down was a major pain.

Basic Member
    I've had great luck with the McGowen barrel for my 270 Gibbs. I sent them a custom reamer and told them what I wanted. I couldn't be more pleased with the fit and finish or the tack driving ability of the barrel. Customer service was amazing as well!! Thanks to all those at McGowen! ....side comment...sounds like the Mrs. found out about your secret project. It's better to get the Mrs. on board from the start on gun projects cause they always cost more than we intend them to.

Ovrmydeadbdy
    My Mcgowen barrel arrived yesterday! The sad thing is its now at the gun smith and they said possibly 2 week turnaround because of all the business they have receiving! This sucks! There was no marking on the barrel saying it was from Mcgowen though.....does anyone know why they don't mark their barrels?

the Ranger
    There was no marking on the barrel saying it was from Mcgowen though.....does anyone know why they don't mark their barrels?
    where would you have them mark it? if it's anywhere on the side of the barrel it might be visible when the rifle is assembled, and I would guess most guys don't want that.

82boy
    My Mcgowen barrel arrived yesterday! The sad thing is its now at the gun smith and they said possibly 2 week turnaround because of all the business they have receiving! This sucks! There was no marking on the barrel saying it was from Mcgowen though.....does anyone know why they don't mark their barrels?
    Every McGowan barrel I have ever seen is marked.

Basic Member
    Mine isn't marked either. Just the chambering (300 Win Mag) and the number 10 in parenthesis which I'm sure is the pitch in inches.
    It ended up on the bolt handle side of the rifle upside down.
    I recieved the barrel in Jan. this year so it's fairly current.

Ovrmydeadbdy
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    where would you have them mark it? if it's anywhere on the side of the barrel it might be visible when the rifle is assembled, and I would guess most guys don't want that.
    Any craftsman proud of his work usually marks his work.

82boy
    [QUOTE=WYcoyote;254566]Just the chambering (300 Win Mag) and the number 10 in parenthesis which I'm sure is the pitch in inches. QUOTE]

That (10) is the twist rate of the barrel. it is a 1 in 10 twist.

Basic Member
    That's what I was afraid of.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=82boy;254654]
    Quote Originally Posted by WYcoyote View Post
    Just the chambering (300 Win Mag) and the number 10 in parenthesis which I'm sure is the pitch in inches. QUOTE]

That (10) is the twist rate of the barrel. it is a 1 in 10 twist.
    Mistyped pitch for twist.
    Good catch figuring that out.

I'm VERY proud of my work and the ONLY marks on my barrels are on the chamber end with the twist and chambering info.....that is it. There is no worry if the markings are going to line up properly with the stock that way. If I had the complete rifle I could mark it properly.....but then that would do away with prefit convenience.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WYcoyote View Post
    That's what I was afraid of.
    WYcoyote, I truly do not think you have to be concerned about McGowen's quality or pride in their craftsmanship. I have never heard anyone question that. They enjoy an excellent reputation, just as CBI, Shilen, Brux, Douglas and others in their price range do. Same for Apache.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    WYcoyote, I truly do not think you have to be concerned about McGowen's quality or pride in their craftsmanship. I have never heard anyone question that. They enjoy an excellent reputation, just as CBI, Shilen, Brux, Douglas and others in their price range do. Same for Apache.
    Not really concerned about that or I would have never got a barrel from them.
    Their name on it may help in verifying the maker in a resale situation is my main issue.
    I do understand the orientation problem.
    My Benchmark has the caliber designation out near the muzzle with no maker stamp. Twist on the chamber end.
    The Rock Creek barrel I have was marked twice 180' apart and one ended up in the perfect spot. Stamped RCB with the twist and the caliber.

Advertiser
    Guys, there have been some question about us marking the barrels. We used to mark them with McGowen Precision Barrels, the cartridge, twist rate and even the month/year of manufacture when we had our laser engraver. Unfortunately we do not have that in the shop anymore, we're using a manual engraver now. I'll speak with the person in house who does the engraving and have her work out something in order to put the name there. We are proud of our quality and aren't shy about letting everyone know that we made it.

Ovrmydeadbdy
    I meant no disrespect for the company at all. I was just surprised. I cannot wait to shoot my new Mcgowen 27" on my 7mm rem mag!

Hey Dan, This Dean welcome to the dark side.LOL
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Advertiser
    We're going one step further guys. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a Target, Large and Small Shank action for indexing purposes. I called Savage Arms yesterday but had to leave a message. As soon as I can get in touch with their sales department I'll be ordering those receivers so we can use them as a guide for engraving the caliber, twist and McGowen on them. Right now we're starting to mark them, per everyones request, with McGowen Precision Barrels - Cartridge and twist. Like this example: 264 Win Mag (9) McGowen Precision Barrels.

I've checked on a rotary device for our engraver, but the one the manufacturer offers won't work for our purposes, they were designed more for very short items. Their rep is supposed to be sending me a link to a video of an alternative. If it will work for us, we'll get it and then McGowen Precision Barrels will be placed under the cartridge/twist as we used to do when we were using the laser engraver.

Regards,
    Dan

Advertiser
    No offense taken. I would prefer that our name is on the barrel as we're very proud of the quality that we manufacture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast