Today, I took the plunge and purchased my first ever bolt action rifle the Axis SS 7mm-08. Although poorly packaged from Buds and/or Savage the rifle and associated parts were in good working order and the all the documentation was present. Next, unpacked the rifle, read the user manual,checked the safety, inserted the bolt, and examined the stock, bolts,barrel, trigger etc... no problems!!

But before I begin asking questions, here is the disclaimer. I am very new at all this, in fact, never shot a bolt action rifle in my life. So if some of the questions come across as pretty ignorant, I would appreciate a pass on my first post.

That being said, here is going to be the rig set-up.

-Axis 7mm-08
-EGW 0 MOA Rail
-SWFA SS 10x with rings
-str8laced Rear bag
-Harris Swivel Bi-pod
-Tab Gear Sling
-Triad Stock Pad/Cheek Rest

For the most part, I will be shooting at Knob Creek an outdoor 330 yd range close to my home, and initially I will only be using to punch paper and steel targets.

So a few questions...

1.) Do you see anything that I need to add to the list? (Don't say ammo!!lol)

2.) Can someone suggest a barrel break-in method?

3.) Does it matter what type of ammo I use during break-in? I bought Hornady SST 139gr, but could you use something less expensive or would that cause an issue?

4.) Cleaning, which works best on Axis models..bore snakes, nylon or copper brushes, which solvents etc... Also, how often should I be cleaning after barrel break-in. I am assuming the rifle needs to achieve an equilibrium of copper/powder fouling to ensure proper accuracy over longer distances.

5.) How many shots, on average, can you push though your barrel before you need to let it cool down?

I have many more questions, but this seems to be a good start so it is not overwhelming. Thanks everyone in advance for your assistance it is greatly appreciated.