Thread: savage 10FCP Mcmillan optics help?

savage 10FCP Mcmillan optics help?

I am currently in the midst of setting up a Savage 10 FCP Mcmillan .308win. I have settled on a Leupold Mark4 ER/T 6.5-20X50 FFP. Now I am a little bit lost on the rings and bases. I plan on using a EWG 20 MOA 1 piece base for shooting at 200-600m on average, but may take it out to 1000 if the occasion arrises. As for rings, I am pretty much set on Leupold mark4 rings, but I cannot figure out what height ring I want. I was thinking a High ring, but would the 20MOA base throw that off? Sorry for my first post on this forum being a question that has been asked a billion times, but I searched and couldn't find an answer that was satisfactory to me. I tried the ring height calculator app and was a little bit confused. I'm just looking for some first hand info. Thank you

For every 1 inch of length, a 20 minute of angle slope will rise (or fall) .005818 inches. From your rear mounting hole, measure in inches out to the objective bell of your scope. Multiply that by .005818. Add that number to half the outside diameter of your objective bell in inches. Convert inches to millimeters and use that number for the calculation you use to determine the proper ring height. Sound confusing? It is. I have a good LGS that let's me try different rings before I buy.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Medium rings have always worked for me on the EGW bases (0 and 20 MOA) with 50mm objectives scopes, with room to spare.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Medium rings have always worked for me on the EGW bases (0 and 20 MOA) with 50mm objectives scopes, with room to spare.
    That's what I use on my fcp-k I have Leupold mark IV's
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Scrap the 20 MOA base and go with the med rings and 0 MOA base. The scope you picked has enough internal adjustment to get a .308 win to 1K yards without a canted base. If you were using a 1" tube I'd say go for the base but it isn't necessary with a LR/T
    Last edited by taylorce1; 01-25-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I may go with the 0 MOA mark4 bases to pair with the mark4 rings. Now should I still stick with the mediums? or should I go high? I wish I had a shop around me that carried this stuff in store….

I'm running MK4 Steel 30mm High rings on my MK4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 and PRI 0 MOA base. It's a perfect height for me. I think with a 50mm objective you'll be running tight with the Obj against the barrel with Medium rings.

Notice on mine how the Obj is almost hitting the rail.

Last edited by AZ_GUN_NUT; 01-25-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Here is a 44mm objective scope med Warne rings with 20 MOA EGW base. I should have went with a 0 MOA base when I took the 1" scope off.

As far as needing med or high rings, you may have to do it by trial and error. Leupold says you need high but that isn't with the Mark 4 rings and bases just the standard rings and bases. Since Leupold only makes a two piece MK4 base I'd look elsewhere for a one piece base. Or buy the Burris XT two piece bases for about 1/4 the cost.

The EGW bases sit higher than most other types. With different bases you may need high rings.
    More shooting, less typing.

thanks for the pics guys!

pitsnipe
    FWIW,

I have an LRT, but with the 50mm bell. So, same scope on the outside. And using a 20moa EGW, with Warne MED rings. Still too high. But, with a Karsten rest, can get a good weld. But, hind site being 20-20 would have Warne LOW's to gain another 1/16th or so. Otherwise, MEDIUMS will work fine with the 20moa cant. Or the zero cant if you take that direction.
    Good luck.

Snipe

RiverSink
    I know with a Nightforce 20 moa rail and Nightforce low ring's are perfect with a 50mm NXS. You can cross reference that if you like, sorry but I'm not familiar with the Loopy product's. Good Luck with it.

ShawneeB
    Stevens 200. EGW O moa, Burris sig Z "medium" Leup 3-9x40 CDS Got all kinds of room to spare for a 50mm.

One thing to keep in mind is not everyone has the same cheek weld hold. Personally I can't shoot a rifle or a shotgun with a Monte Carlo stock as I have big cheek bones and even regular stocks I have to mount my scopes a little higher than most people. You'll have to see what fits you the best.