Thread: first Savage, first build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    the Ranger
    I was just trying to confirm what Mrt88 meant by "thumb wrench"?

I'm an auto mechanic so I have no shortage of tools or knowhow, access to about anything but a mill or lathe. I like the idea of making vice blocks out of hardwood, I can do that.

Luke45
    all that is necessary is a barrel nut wrench and a good vise if your not worried about tearing up the donor barrel. Just clamp the barrel in a pipe vise with some leather around it and loosen the nut with the barrel nut wrench. if it wont come off, heat the nut slightly and put constant pressure on the barrel nut wrench and tap it with a hammer

Basic Member
    OK "Ranger"! Now we're talkin. I guess a "thumb wrench" would be a crescent or pipe wrench? But you don't have to go there. If you like the wood block idea, you can improve on it by drilling a tight hole in the wood next to the recoil lug, and screw in a 1/4x24socket head cap screw,so that it sits tight against the recoil lug, preventing the action from turning. But if you get a really tight nut, just remember, the little alignment bump on the lug can only handle so much pressure. Another thing that can be done, more difficult, drill a hole in the wood that corresponds to the front action screw hole, and put a 1/4x28 screw through the wood into the action hole, again preventing the action from turning. It's all good, it's all fun.... You'll getter done! Good Luck;-).....Jim