Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 260 Remington for Whitetail Deer. Max Range

I was a big match king, game king guy forever until the bergers started becoming readily available around here. I was more than happy with what the sierras were doing for me but when the opportunity arose to apply more energy flatter trajectory and less wind drift at long range I jumped all over it. I shot them side by side in a 308, 270, 250 savage and a 260 ackley. The bergers provided night and day differences at 800 yards as far as wind drift and trajectory and has proved to be absolutely devastating on game. Call it mania if you want but they are consistently better performers for me and why I use them. In regards to your friend not shooting his new gun this year because he couldn't get some bergers is a little fanatical but to each his own.

Basic Member
    I know this thread is old but I really didn't see an answer to his question. Deer season is just around the corner and this year I'm headed again to Montana to hunt upland birds. But this year I will be adding deer to the mix and I think my shot could be a long long one. I haven't decided yet what rifle I'm taking but it will be a 6.5 and 140 VLD Bergers. The 6.5-284 runs them out at 3000 fps at 200' above sea level and the 260 is getting 2825. The 260 is set up a lot better but the 6.5-284 will still do the job at distance a lot better. I thinking ether at 1000 to 1200 yards with the hunting vld's. At the end of October I might know. Everyone can rest assured that I won't take the shot unless I know I can make it.

Either one is more than capable on deer at those ranges. Putting the bullet where it needs to go is the most important thing. I would use whatever one I could consistently shoot better with.

Basic Member
    Ya, It should be an interesting hunt. Hope to spend a little over 3 weeks there. Almost all of that time will be bird hunting with my dogs, then trying to get a nice buck the last couple of days.

Basic Member
    So what area are you headed to Chuck, im assuming since birds are involved probably eastern?

Basic Member
    Ya, Yobuck, Headed almost to North Dakota. About 70 miles west of the state line. Been going there the last few years. Love to hunt Sharpies. I think its a tossup between Sharpies in Montana and Chukars in Oregon. Thus Chukarmandoo! This year going to try a little deer hunting. Last time I went got a nice whitetail fork, but it was with my truck! First deer I've ever hit and it messed things up pretty bad!

Apex-Predator
    Little late to the party but being a 6.5mm nut let me run some basic numbers for you, with low drag bullets like the 140gr VLD hunting in my 6.5x55 I can retain ethical deer killing speed and energy (using the 1,000 ft/lbs and 1,800fps standard) out to 750 yards in my 6.5x55, and the 260 is hardly if any slower with the 140s, Nosler lists loads up to 2830fps with is actually slightly faster then what I am running in the Sweed. While I am a darn good shot I try and limit myself to the 400 yard range so I cannot tell you from experience what they do at 750 but the speed for proper expansion and kinetic energy are certainly there, no reason they would not work. 700+ yard range in a very light recoil rifle with exceptional external ballistics and wind bucking capability, I call that a real winner. Despite what some of the magnum junkies and 30 cal fanatics say 6.5mms are highly effective on game, with my 140gr SSTs and 120gr BTs I get wider wounds then with my rather fast 7mm-08, no idea why but there is no mistaking it.

Basic Member
    I will be shooting a 6.5 creedmore for the first time this year it's a Savage LRP trigger is set at 10 ounces. I plan on taking a whitetail at 5/600 yards. Can't wait!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123