Thread: Any way to counter static when loading?

Basic Member

Any way to counter static when loading?

Wintertime around here I usally get plenty of static around the house. Every metal object I touch shocks me, etc..
    I wanted to load some ammo today but couldnt because of the static. Even if I touch something metal to discharge myself before I walk up to the scales, it stills screws with them. All it takes is a few seconds of standing there to make it pick up my static and start reading off and start beeping it needs calibrated. I can zero it and it works for a few seconds then starts bouncing between zero and .4 and then beeps calibration. I calibrate it with the weights and this does not help. I could not even get one round loaded because of this.
    I also have the problem of grains sticking to the funnel when pouring a charge into a case. I have to take it, run a little water through it, dry it out and then its good for a few loads, then the statick builds and they start sticking again.

Has anyone found a way to counter static when reloading? I do not have any of these problems in the summer.

Team Savage
    wipe you equipment down with used dryer sheets
    works for me
    drybean

Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    wipe you equipment down with used dryer sheets
    works for me
    drybean
    Yep what he said. I even store my powder despensers with dryer sheets in them.

+3^^^
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Also - you might take a trip Radio Shack and look for an electronic grounding strap. It's a wristband that you wear that also attaches to a ground with a coiled cord - electronic technicians use them to ground themselves before working on sensitive electronic equipment. If your static is that bad, and you can handle wearing it, it will help.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

82boy
    Dryer sheets will help, why don't you ground your powder measure? Just take a piece of wire, tape it to the powder measure, and run the length of wire down to the bottom of the bench, or a place where you can ground it out. Done this when out side, and just took a nail and drove it into the ground, and wrapped the wire, and it fixes the problem.

A few more suggestions
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...r-performance/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...wder-measures/

A humidifier will reduce static too.

Basic Member
    Anti-static aerosol is another item you might try.

davemuzz
    +++ on the dryer sheets. Actually, I "scarf up" the once used ones. They work just as well and are not quite as "smelly" as brand new ones.

Dave

Those dryer sheets also work really, really well (new or used) to clean bugs off motorcycles, helmet/shields & windscreens without scratching.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Basic Member
    The powder measure is all plastic, would taping a wire to it really do anything? But then I also run into the problem of where to hook the wire to. I have a wood workbench, carpet floor, pvc pipes. The only thing I could think of would be the actual electrical outlet. Would that even be safe to push a wire into the ground hole of the outlet? The two main slots are used up by the power adapter for the scale (they are 2 prong, not 3) so the 3rd hole is unused.
    I had a few on another site reccomend a humidifier. Its hot and humid in the summer, and cold and dry in the winter, so that could explain why I do not have this issue in the summer.

I picked up some anti static wipes at office depot today. They helped a little, but it did not last more than 1-2 min. I may try some of the static guard mentioned in the links above.

If you look at the wall outlet, the screw that is holding the cover for the outlets is grounded. You can attach a wire to that srew for grounding purpose.

One wipe down with a dryer sheet wll last for years!

Basic Member
    I had static issues with new stuff. Only thing that worked was washing with dish soap.

But your issue is bigger you need a humidifier. At the least start boiling water or run hot water threw the shower head. I think that's the only thing that will fix your issue.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    The powder measure is all plastic, would taping a wire to it really do anything?.
    If it didn't I would not have mentioned it.

The problem in the winter time is lower humidity which causes the static. I keep a humidity gage on my loading bench and do all my reloading around 50% humidity. I also run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down in the warmer temps. As snowgetter1 said, run a humidifier and you won't have any issues.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_GUN_NUT View Post
    The problem in the winter time is lower humidity which causes the static. I keep a humidity gage on my loading bench and do all my reloading around 50% humidity. I also run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down in the warmer temps. As snowgetter1 said, run a humidifier and you won't have any issues.
    Anti static mat on the bench and a wrist strap. Just like they use on electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Anti static mat on the bench and a wrist strap. Just like they use on electronics.
    I have a buddy that almost lost his hand due to static discharge when a tube of primers when off while he was holding it. The mat and wrist strap are a good band aid but why not fix the problem the right way? If you have a problem with static electricity in your loading area what's to stop something else from causing an electric shock to happen?

Edit: I should have said electric discharge.