Quote Originally Posted by CrazyVikingx55 View Post
Exactly the kind of replies I was looking for. Thanks guys. Especially FW Conch, thats way more detailed info than I was able to dig up online. I still like the idea, because I'm a 6.5 fan, but for what I'm looking for, the Grendel is probably a better fit. I'm just getting into this rifle and reloading mess, so pioneering a wildcat is probably outside my skill set. Figure a properly built mini-30 in 6.5x39 (does that exist? necked down 7.62x39 without blowing out the case walls ackley style?) would be a great truck gun with ballistics very similar to the 6.5x55 swede.

Figure the tapered case 6.5x39 would still work well with the mini-30 mags and whatnot. If I wanna go real nuts, I could have a spare barreled receiver (hey this is the savage forum right???) in 7.62x39 to shoot both cartridges. shoot the 7.62 stuff for cheap brass, then neck it down and hand load it as 6.5 to use with the other barreled action.
Did you know there is a two-volume reloading manual on the market for the 6.5 Grendel? The books have discussions tuned to the needs of people just starting to reload with references on how to get started in addition to a wealth of reloading data. Even if one chooses to stay with factory loads, there are discussions of which bullets make the most sense for your hunting as well as success stories from hunters who are younger than 10 through to those old enough that they could be called "Old Goats." AR15Buildbox.com carries them. I don't remember the precise price but you can get the two-volume set for the price of a couple of boxes of cartridges.

Having mentioned the manual, I can also say that some folks have played with versions of the 7.62x39 necked down to 6.5 mm. Should you choose to go the wildcat route, you will have a cartridge that performs a lot like the Grendel.

If you do decide to go the wildcat route, you can use the book as a reference for general information about that class of cartridge as you work through your decision.

There is a book preview at 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.

You can also lurk on the 65Grendel.com forum for a trove of info.

Other resources are the 65Grendel.com forum. BTW I just checked there and found that someone as already converted a Mini 30 to the Grendel and he seems happy with it! My Mini 30 is Now a Mini Grendel