Thread: Lack of Target Action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    KRP
    Your Mark I with a custom barrel, stock, and trigger doesn't shoot well?

Doodaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KRP View Post
    Your Mark I with a custom barrel, stock, and trigger doesn't shoot well?
    Are you implying that a Mark I is worth investing that sort of money and would be competitive on a level that centerfire Savage target actions are?

Is that receiver threaded? The MK series action isn't exactly beefy... Flimsy in comparison to target actions actually. I guess I could lay down $400 on a custom barrel and then turn it down small to fit the Savage MK I action possibly harming the bore taking off that much, but then what custom trigger is available? Savage doesn't even make their Target AccuTrigger for rimfire. Jard doesn't make one for Savage rimfire. SSS doesn't offer one for the accutrigger models (if one is even comfortable ordering from them). Rifle Basix doesn't even go below a pound and I don't think the Apachee trigger kit does either. I don't know of a Jewell trigger that will fit a Savage rimfire. If there is one, I'll buy it tonight. We haven't even talked about ignition or the subtleties of the technicalities of the bolt.

Even if one went through all that you listed, do you think that it could actually score with 40X or a Turbo (or one of its clones) or a SPF action or even an Anschutz 54 for that matter? It's not a coincidence that there are brands/actions excluded on competitive benches...no one wants to lose.

http://www.americanrimfire.com/index...h_results/1354

Click on the Equipment list tab. That is the list of the equipment used at this past ARA Indoor national match. The only production actions I see on that list are 40X and Suhls. 14/79 actions. The rest being custom actions. If someone had a fixed up MK I action at that match I'm sure you could guess about where they would have placed. If it were centerfire and they were using a Savage Target action, they might would stand a chance.

But I'm not even talking strictly benchrest to be honest. I shot at NRA Smallbore Silhouette Southern Nationals the past couple of years. How many Savages were there? 1. Mine. What was there? Anschutz. A handful of CZs and a few Remington 541 series. One could use a Ruger 77, Sako, or a CZ and be fine (and it would be incredibly easy to acquire the list you provided for it. Heck there are drop in match barrels for them too).

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I dunno if I'd say the centerfire Target Action is any more "serious" about accuracy than a standard repeater action. They all come off the same machines and are machined to the same tolerances and are assembled with the same parts, so they're no more special or accurate than a Stevens 200 action in that regard. You just pay a premium for an overly sensitive Target AccuTrigger, and band-aid fixed bolt handle and the "Target" in the name (kind of like how anything with tactical in it's name costs 20% more).

As for a serious target rimfire, Savage has been approached with just such an animal but thus far they haven't shown any real interest in it.
    Savage centerfires are significantly more accurate comparatively speaking to Savage rimfires. I've competed and done well with a Savage Model 12 BVSS in .223. I wonder how much better it would be with the significantly better trigger the Target action comes with, more real estate to properly bed with from that receiver, and an easy way for barrel attachment. Savage centerfire barrels aren't ignored in the aftermarket barrel. That sort of support is helpful. I think it's great that they sell the action alone and not really all that expensive either. If I wanted to build a BR rifle, I could buy the action and then the custom stock and the custom barrel instead of buying a full rifle for significantly more and piecing it together after the fact. I see the Savage centerfire target actions constantly between $500-600. I'd pay that right now for the rimfire equivalent.

Savage simply isn't investing anything into their rimfire lineup. I'd hate to bring up the success of the only effort I've seen in rimfire in a while. There aren't many defenders of the BMAG from what I can tell. I laughed when I held one and put it back. Consumers are buying barrels for their Encores and Volquarten just unveiled a beautiful model. That caliber isn't monopolized by Savage anymore. Savage attempts to hold on to lower priced market and tries to be the best available for that money. I hate to break to them, but Ruger is taking taking the floor with the American Series. CZs aren't invisible in that market either. Their following is nearly unrivaled.

You're right. They haven't shown interest. I'm saying they should. Not necessarily in the exact ways I want them to, because I'm not dumb enough to realize that I am in a niche market, but because I know that they have exhibited nothing but stagnation. That does not last. I once asked a CS representative on the phone this very question about their target action and she responded "you know, I really don't know why. I'll have to ask engineering." I'm just saying that they need to do something. Dressing up the same action over and over from the F to the G to the BV to the TR blah blah isn't going to cut it.

It sounds like I'm mad at or bashing Savage. I'm not. If anything I'm cheering harder for them than most people are willing to simply because there are other options. I like shooting with something other than what is expected; I'd just rather not have an inherent disadvantage because of it forcing people to laugh when they see it.