Thread: 6.5x284 LRH question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patch700
    What is your cleaning regime with this barrel?.... It may be possible that it needs a certain amount of copper in it to shoot.

I have seen a couple factory barrels that won't smarten up till their fouled with 20+ rnds , I will clean the carbon etc with something mild like hopes but I won't put the sweets to it till the accuracy falls off... It helped on more than one occasion. Good luck

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch700 View Post
    What is your cleaning regime with this barrel?.... It may be possible that it needs a certain amount of copper in it to shoot.

I have seen a couple factory barrels that won't smarten up till their fouled with 20+ rnds , I will clean the carbon etc with something mild like hopes but I won't put the sweets to it till the accuracy falls off... It helped on more than one occasion. Good luck
    Interesting, i have been deep cleaning it every 20 rounds or so becasue the copper fouling was very heavy. maybe im handicapping it though and should just keep shootin?

Patch700
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    Interesting, i have been deep cleaning it every 20 rounds or so becasue the copper fouling was very heavy. maybe im handicapping it though and should just keep shootin?

It's possible , I too have done the surgical clean method and to be honest I've found it doesn't always help on a factory barrel (if it looks rough using a bore scope)... I would still however do a light cleaning with something that won't aggressively remove copper and just sticks to powder and carbon etc in the intervals you're using now.. Certainly won't hurt to try.

Basic Member
    If it doesn't clean up with no copper showinga after 60 rounds, you need to toss it and get a criterion. My Bartlein showed no copper after 4 rounds, Krieger took 15, and Rock Creek about 20.