Lapping is a big reason people started using Burris Signature Zee rings isn't it? You don't need to lap with the inserts or the off-set inserts if necessary. Lapping certainly works well but your rings will be useful only mounted on the one rifle since you are modifying the rings to match the imperfections of the mounts and mount holes for that one rifle.

That's not to say that people haven't gotten very good results not using either too. The theory is that you get a perfect match between rings and scope. There will be 100% contact and there won't be any stress on the scope from the rings.

I remember when things were much worse though. I've put cut outs from pop cans under mounts to correct badly aligned mount holes. That was way more tricky than what we have to work with today. Of course my wallet wasn't nearly as effective in those days either come to think of it. But I still have one rifle that has a piece of a pop can under a mount. I've won a bunch of contests with that rifle too. It's a Savage MkIIBTV. I actually tried Burris rings on that rifle but they wouldn't compensate enough without the off-set kit so I used the old trick thinking it would only be for a short time. But it worked so I figured why fix what wasn't broke.