Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Savage Axis....What are the good and the bad?

  1. #1

    Savage Axis....What are the good and the bad?

    New Savage owner here. I recently purchased a Savage 116 300 win mag. I have no shooting time behind it yet to rate it good or bad. I sold my .06 to get it, but now kind of regretting not keeping it at least for a backup. So I'm looking to get an "affordable" budget rifle in .06. I've been primarily looking at the Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, and maybe the Savage 111. My rifles are just used for hunting. I don't target shoot, and don't plan on modifying them (other than maybe the free trigger mod on the Axis that I have read about).

    I've tried doing searches, but guess I need more practice at refining the searches as it pulls up a lot of wasted information for me. I just wondered if the Axis was a good purchase? Is there regular problems with them that I should be aware of before making the purchase? Do you guys have any comparison experience between the Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, or Savage 111 without the Accutrigger? Any help appreciated for a newbie looking to make an informed decision on a new purchase for a budget rifle.

  2. #2
    The good:
    Accuracy.
    Comes in stainless.
    Price.
    Box mag.
    Trigger is like glass.
    Full closed top receiver.(stronger)

    The bad:
    Stock is flimsy.(replace with Boyds)
    Not accutrigger(it will fit with mods)
    Some people have ejection problems($2 fix for that)
    Trigger is heavy 4lb(but brakes like glass)
    Bolt lift is heavy.(no big deal)

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    JCalhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mobile, AL Heart of Dixie
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,898
    I agree.

    All it needs is a good trigger.
    Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.
    Pascagoula Shooting Club www.pascagouladcm.com

  4. #4
    I'm sure I'll get chased off my own website for this, but if you're looking for a budget rifle that you won't have to change anything on to make it serviceable, the Remington and Ruger are much better buys than the Axis. Both R's have a better trigger and a better synthetic stock on them right from the factory.
    I've come to believe that everyone should have to pass a simple common sense and I.Q. test before they're allowed to own a gun.

  5. #5
    Paid Member LoneWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SOCAL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I'm sure I'll get chased off my own website for this, but if you're looking for a budget rifle that you won't have to change anything on to make it serviceable, the Remington and Ruger are much better buys than the Axis. Both R's have a better trigger and a better synthetic stock on them right from the factory.
    I disagree. Played with a Ruger American and wished the guy had got an Axis. Stock flexed more than the Axis and I was unable to zero it at 50yds. As for the other Remington usually does a pretty good job.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I'm sure I'll get chased off my own website for this, but if you're looking for a budget rifle that you won't have to change anything on to make it serviceable, the Remington and Ruger are much better buys than the Axis. Both R's have a better trigger and a better synthetic stock on them right from the factory.
    Thanks for the replies so far. I've checked out the Axis, Ruger American, and Remington 783. They all seemed like okay rifles. The Ruger and 783 did have better triggers, but it seems like the Axis can be made nice by replacing/modifying the spring from what I've researched. The Axis and Ruger rifles seemed very similar as far as feel and stock. The 783 seemed to be a little bit more stout. The biggest thing I liked best about the Axis is they offered it in a SS finish unlike the other models. That may be the only advantage that I see right now, but still having a hard time deciding. I don't plan on replacing stock or anything down the road. Plan on keeping as is. Otherwise I would just pay a little extra money right now for a little higher end, but don't want to pay that kind of money right now.

  7. #7
    Registered User big honkin jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,337
    Personallyif i were in the market, I'd pick up a used 110 or 111 at around $250- $350 depending on condition. Not too terribly hard to find in that price range. A lot more rifle than the ones you mentioned for probably less money. I know this wasn't listed as one of your choices but think it's an idea worthy of consideration.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 12-16-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    A good woman and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

  8. #8
    Axis is great.. trigger can be fixed in literally 3 min. As for getting 30-06 ... I wouldnt since you already have a 300... I would get something smaller than the 06.

    Maybe a 25-06 or 7mm-08

  9. #9
    How about the Savage FCNS: accutrigger and accustock.

  10. #10
    Registered User thermaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    New Savage owner here. I recently purchased a Savage 116 300 win mag. I have no shooting time behind it yet to rate it good or bad. I sold my .06 to get it, but now kind of regretting not keeping it at least for a backup. So I'm looking to get an "affordable" budget rifle in .06. I've been primarily looking at the Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, and maybe the Savage 111. My rifles are just used for hunting. I don't target shoot, and don't plan on modifying them (other than maybe the free trigger mod on the Axis that I have read about).

    I've tried doing searches, but guess I need more practice at refining the searches as it pulls up a lot of wasted information for me. I just wondered if the Axis was a good purchase? Is there regular problems with them that I should be aware of before making the purchase? Do you guys have any comparison experience between the Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, or Savage 111 without the Accutrigger? Any help appreciated for a newbie looking to make an informed decision on a new purchase for a budget rifle.
    I once faced the same choice you are now and took a very close look at the same options. I almost went with the remi mostly because of the aftermarket options. The axis--for all it's faults--still has that superb bolt, receiver and barrel which some of us succeed in coaxing near match quality out of without too much effort. I never worry about my axis taking a beating from weather and conditions in the woods, nor do I worry about it putting the bullet where it needs to go. That pretty much sums up my needs from a hunting rifle.

    I also have a 300 win mag but almost always take along my axis 308 win into the woods. I don't have access to long range fields to shoot (I wish I did since that seems to be where most of the deer are taken around here) so in the thick woods the 308 is more than enough since most likely no shots will ever exceed 300 yds (doubtful even 100).
    Shooting--it's like high-speed golf

  11. #11
    I bought one three weeks ago in 7mm_08 with the Bushnell scope included. It was bore sighted at the factory. I shot two shots to sight it in at 100 yrs with the Remington 140 grain cor lokd. Got a deer at 75 yards the afternoon of opening day and it fell like a rock. Yes the trigger pull is not optimal but it can be modified or the trigger replaced. Now that I have had it I have dry fired it a few hundred times with a snap cap and it is a lot better than when I first got it. My best 3 shot group is a quarter sized at 100 yards using a lead sled for support. The rifle is most accurate when supported just forward of the magazine which verifies that the stock flexes at the fore grip. So for 300 dollars including a scope it's a steal.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Personallyif i were in the market, I'd pick up a used 110 or 111 at around $250- $350 depending on condition. Not too terribly hard to find in that price range. A lot more rifle than the ones you mentioned for probably less money. I know this wasn't listed as one of your choices but think it's an idea worthy of consideration.
    What are the advantages/upgrades of the model 110 or 11/111 (non accu-trigger models) over the Axis? As far as caliber goes, 30.06 is the smallest I'll go. I hunt both deer and elk. 30.06 is the smallest I'll go to use on elk. Besides the .06, I'm still considering a 7 mag as well. But that will limit my options of rifles as some (Axis included) don't offer them in 7 mag.
    Last edited by out west; 12-17-2013 at 01:20 AM.

  13. #13
    Registered User big honkin jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,337
    Here's my opinion. The Axis is an economy offering and manufactured as cheaply as possible to still come up with a functioning firearm. I bought one by ordering it through a gun shop when they were labeled the "edge" based solely on reviews and the Savage reputation. I was very disappointed in it. I have never been one to complain about flimsy stocks even before the accustock came out but the stock on the Axis/Edge seems uber cheap and flimsy with a recoil lug that instead of being sandwiched between the barrel nut and the action is just pressed into the stock and fits in a recess in the action, It just dosen't seem to be a secure arrangement to me. All the stock parts and their strange arrangement of fitment as well as the plastic mag tab just reeks of cheap. The coating on the barrel seems to be some kind of ceracoat type material and a chunk chipped off near my muzzle, I'm pretty sure from merely leaning it in a corner. I surely don't recall anything that should have chipped it. To top it off I used good bases and rings and a known scope, after several boxes with different types of ammo I couldn't get it to shoot for beans. The 110 series are much better quality. They have been Savages bread and butter for decades and are in my opinion of a much more sound and time tested design and materials. Much more rifle for the money all the way around. (if you can mod an axis trigger you can do a 110 for the same cost)
    A good woman and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

  14. #14
    Registered User Hotolds442's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clark County, WA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,131
    Have you considered the Stevens 200?

  15. #15
    Registered User thermaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Here's my opinion. The Axis is an economy offering and manufactured as cheaply as possible to still come up with a functioning firearm. I bought one by ordering it through a gun shop when they were labeled the "edge" based solely on reviews and the Savage reputation. I was very disappointed in it. I have never been one to complain about flimsy stocks even before the accustock came out but the stock on the Axis/Edge seems uber cheap and flimsy with a recoil lug that instead of being sandwiched between the barrel nut and the action is just pressed into the stock and fits in a recess in the action, It just dosen't seem to be a secure arrangement to me. All the stock parts and their strange arrangement of fitment as well as the plastic mag tab just reeks of cheap. The coating on the barrel seems to be some kind of ceracoat type material and a chunk chipped off near my muzzle, I'm pretty sure from merely leaning it in a corner. I surely don't recall anything that should have chipped it. To top it off I used good bases and rings and a known scope, after several boxes with different types of ammo I couldn't get it to shoot for beans. The 110 series are much better quality. They have been Savages bread and butter for decades and are in my opinion of a much more sound and time tested design and materials. Much more rifle for the money all the way around. (if you can mod an axis trigger you can do a 110 for the same cost)
    Agreed for the most part--but there's just something about a Savage in a display case for $270 or less that grabs my attention : ) You can get XP trophy hunter package 111's that come with the accutrigger.
    Shooting--it's like high-speed golf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •