Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are BSA good quality scores

soutthpaw

Are BSA good quality scores

Looking for a scope for my 30-06, I like the 6 power zoom on the 4-24x50 BSA Gold Star. Wondering if anyone has experience with these? Only downside I see is that it's not illuminated.

EDIT. sorry about typo in title

No, BSAs are not good quality scopes. Do not be fooled by the high magnification range, it'll be hardly useable as the eyebox is uber-tiny and the image unbelievably fuzzy.

Only exception is the BSA Tactical 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP, as it is a Falcon Menace/Primary Arms clone and is surprisingly decent.

Basic Member
    IMHO, not being illuminated is "not" a down side. Are they good quality ? Not so much.

soutthpaw
    thanks for the info. Ill keep looking for something else....
    Actually the primary arms I mentioned looks pretty good.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 12-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Two much better scopes for a little more money:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/740...-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...de-focus-matte

I have these two. Love them both.

stangfish
    Southpaw, Don't be fooled by advertising, scope snobs or any hype. Look for a scope that mature gun enthusiast prefer. You don't always need to spend a ton of money to get something durable and fits your needs. If you have an idea of the type of shooting you want to do and the distance let us know if we can help. There are many shooters on this forum that would be glad to help. Nobody here wants to see you make a scope mistake.

soutthpaw
    What about this Muller 4-16x56AO scope? seems to be decent reviews for the brand. http://muelleroptics.com/mt41650igr can be had for about $180 shipped
    Or the Millet TRS 4-16x50 http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/

The other one that looks interesting is the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42. Currently has a $45 factory rebate too. Looks to be made in U.S.A
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 12-20-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Basic Member
    Mueller is a great scope for that price range.

Are BSA good quality scores

The Millett is the exact one I linked you to in post #5. Great scope for this price range, especially if you find it on sale, as you usually can at Midway or Natchez Shooters, for around $300 give or take a little. It's made by Bushnell, has a lifetime warranty, and good glass. Drawbacks: very large and heavy. Clicks are kinda mushy, but still accurate. And did I mention large, and heavy? But a good all-around medium-range scope that's at home more so at the range or on a tactical-style build. Kinda over the top for a hunting rig. Not sure what your intended use is primarily?

Edit: here ya go.. Really good deal at this price.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...8&src=exrbSrch

Also a digital camo edition available.
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 12-21-2013 at 01:46 PM.

soutthpaw
    Just ordered the Mueller. I will try it and see if i even use 10-16x. or if I do or don't like illuminated mil dot etc. For example if I never really use over 12 or 10x etc then i can invest money into a better scope later and not pay for a bunch of magnification i don't use. same with the illumination. Then this one can be sold or become a backup. Then again, this may turn out to be perfect for my needs. will update once I get some shooting done with it.
    As i had mentioned in my intro, this is my first hunting caliber AR and first scope for a hunting rifle...
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 12-28-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Keep your new scope in real good condition & you may be able to trade up at SWFA if it doesn't work out for ya. They have a pretty good trade in program.

I went thru 3 scopes with my beloved 30.06.
    Between frequent trips to the range for some of my marathon '06 shooting sessions and getting bumped around in the swamps, I went thru 1 Simmons cheapo, A Simmons AETEC & a Vortex Crossfire.
    After the 2nd return of the Crossfire to Vortex, they traded me up to a Viper.
    My beloved '06 has been happy ever since.

PS, the muzzle break I put on 6 months ago made it easier on the scope & my shoulder. Consider it.
    Good luck with your project.

PSS - I forgot about the Leupold VX-1 it devoured, too.....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

soutthpaw
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Keep your new scope in real good condition & you may be able to trade up at SWFA if it doesn't work out for ya. They have a pretty good trade in program.

I went thru 3 scopes with my beloved 30.06.
    Between frequent trips to the range for some of my marathon '06 shooting sessions and getting bumped around in the swamps, I went thru 1 Simmons cheapo, A Simmons AETEC & a Vortex Crossfire.
    After the 2nd return of the Crossfire to Vortex, they traded me up to a Viper.
    My beloved '06 has been happy ever since.

PS, the muzzle break I put on 6 months ago made it easier on the scope & my shoulder. Consider it.
    Good luck with your project.
    Yes, I would love to thread this barrel and get a factory muzzle brake for it
    Thanks for the trade up tip. I'll probably just eBay it if it comes to selling it

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    The Savage factory break is OK...

I put a 4 port on mine. The kind where the back blast knocks stuff off the bench. The RSO usually sticks me down the end of the line when I bring it to the range. Too many whining sissys crying about that blast of warm air & the noise.

Noise at a gun range.....
    Imagine that.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

thomae

Thanks You.
    Last edited by thomae; 12-31-2013 at 09:35 AM.

RyanMeyerhofer
    for a 30 06 savage a NC Star Mark 3 would work just fine aslong as your not running a Muzzle break DECENT glass at a good price, they just dont hold up on the big boys By DECENT GLASS i mean it will work out just fine clarity wize inside 400 yards sun glare can get annoying i just use a paper towel tube as a redneck sun shade i run the mark 3 on my 223, 308, and 204 the swift has a Leupould VX3 and still looking for my 338 Lapua Vortex posibly hope that helps you out

soutthpaw
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMeyerhofer View Post
    for a 30 06 savage a NC Star Mark 3 would work just fine aslong as your not running a Muzzle break DECENT glass at a good price, they just dont hold up on the big boys By DECENT GLASS i mean it will work out just fine clarity wize inside 400 yards sun glare can get annoying i just use a paper towel tube as a redneck sun shade i run the mark 3 on my 223, 308, and 204 the swift has a Leupould VX3 and still looking for my 338 Lapua Vortex posibly hope that helps you out
    Are you trying to b bait the scope snobs? I did look at ncstar but their to of the line was about the same price as the Mueller. Which seemed a step up quality wise. I did order the $39. Blue dot reflex sight from NcStar to replace the Walther p22 on my AR just to get the green and blue dots. Otherwise it looks just like the NcStar one.

RyanMeyerhofer
    wasnt trying to bait anyone, i had a NC Star on my 338 Lapua and it didnt hold up that gun is getting a Leupold or a Vortex. what i was trying to say is for the price and inside 400 yards the NC Star works well. it isn't the best in the world by any stretch of the word but it will get the job done on a 30 06

18. 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM
    Reason
    Do not post ”empty” or useless responses.” Only post responses when you have something to contribute.

RyanMeyerhofer
    i cant say a bloody word without catching flack.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMeyerhofer View Post
    i cant say a bloody word without catching flack.....
    nothing personal mind you. im sure others here have a warm spot for 06s also and were thinking what i said.

Lots of love for the '06 around here. Deservedly so, as it and the men who carried it are the reason we are all free to still own one, and to post on this forum in English. But in all fairness, the subject of Ryan's post was the recoil handling ability, or lack thereof, of NCStar products, not to slam the '06.

thomae
    2. Get this thread back on topic.

Basic Member
    It depends on the application that you plan on using the scope. For the average hunter it will do the job. The average hunter has no need to dial in for windage and elevation, nor does he need extreme magnification to take game.

For longer range shooting where one needs extreme consistency in dialing in targets, clarity at higher magnification ranges, needs a higher level of rigidity, than no a BSA scope will not cut the grade.

However, these scopes that are designed for longer range shooting do not work too well for hunting applications. Scopes are designed to do certain jobs. Get the scope for the intended application.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I have 2 bsa scopes I received as bonus items from grafs.
    I did not even take them out of their boxes.
    But when I got them I remember reading the reviews:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...le-scopes.html

you be the judge.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    It depends on the application that you plan on using the scope. For the average hunter it will do the job. The average hunter has no need to dial in for windage and elevation, nor does he need extreme magnification to take game.

For longer range shooting where one needs extreme consistency in dialing in targets, clarity at higher magnification ranges, needs a higher level of rigidity, than no a BSA scope will not cut the grade.

However, these scopes that are designed for longer range shooting do not work too well for hunting applications. Scopes are designed to do certain jobs. Get the scope for the intended application.
    well for the (average) hunter who may only get a few days each year for hunting.
    my advise would be have no scope rather than a poor one.
    many years back say the early 50s there were very few scopes on hunting rifles.
    many of those who had them like me for example didnt completly trust them.
    techknowledgy being what it was then you couldnt always depend on seeing thru the things.
    fogging when taken from a warm to a cold enviornment was fairly common.
    moisture penetration was another problem. for that reason many hunters used mounts that would
    allow for the use of the factory sights or an add on receiver sight as i did. there were various types
    of mounts for that purpose. with some the scope could easily be removed completly leaving just the
    iorn sights. on others you could look under or thru the mount itself for using the iorn sights.
    of coarse for many years now techknowledgy has advanced to where fogging and moisture penetration
    are rarly seen at least on the better quality scopes. i personaly think inexpensive scopes end up being
    more expensive in the long run. due to the fact you will eventually have a drawer full you cant unload.
    but thats simply an opinion. i say buy what you think best for your circumstances. but it might be wise
    to check out some of those mounts i mentioned. a few days isnt much time when the next few are a year away.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    well for the (average) hunter who may only get a few days each year for hunting.
    my advise would be have no scope rather than a poor one.
    many years back say the early 50s there were very few scopes on hunting rifles.
    many of those who had them like me for example didnt completly trust them.
    techknowledgy being what it was then you couldnt always depend on seeing thru the things.
    fogging when taken from a warm to a cold enviornment was fairly common.
    moisture penetration was another problem. for that reason many hunters used mounts that would
    allow for the use of the factory sights or an add on receiver sight as i did. there were various types
    of mounts for that purpose. with some the scope could easily be removed completly leaving just the
    iorn sights. on others you could look under or thru the mount itself for using the iorn sights.
    of coarse for many years now techknowledgy has advanced to where fogging and moisture penetration
    are rarly seen at least on the better quality scopes. i personaly think inexpensive scopes end up being
    more expensive in the long run. due to the fact you will eventually have a drawer full you cant unload.
    but thats simply an opinion. i say buy what you think best for your circumstances. but it might be wise
    to check out some of those mounts i mentioned. a few days isnt much time when the next few are a year away.
    Amen! well said, I follow a very simple rule for most things in life: favor the best of breed!
    I use Nikon Monarch BDC on my hunting rifles, they were 319$ and I bought them for $200s on sale.
    The question is do ya need a $2k scope to a buck? or will a $200 Nikon Monarch do the job? or even a $100 simmons whitetail classic?

Will the any of the above fail, the answer is yes.

Scopes fail, period, be it Nikon, Zeiss, Simmons.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast